Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Is this best way to START OVER FRESH?

I would guess that anything that will kill parasites and disease will kill or at least harm your worms. The chloramines in your water may already be doing that.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Rinse and repeat (excluding any mistakes).
    I agree. The matter clogging the grow beds is definitely not helping anything.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Well, the "new" system has been running with the pump, filling and draining the grow beds, for the last few days. My filters are picking up a lot of gunk as expected and removing it from the water. I filmed a 15 minute YouTube video, walking through my entire system. I should have it edited and uploaded either today or tomorrow. When I do, I will post it here and it will give you a good rundown of how my system looks, the changes I made to it, etc.
    ------------
    My System: Jeff's Backyard System Here We Go!

As promised, here is the YouTube video showing you my entire system and how it's setup. Feel free to comment and let me know what you think, or any changes you would recommend!

[youtube:dvp92383]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAE8mZoBAmU[/youtube:dvp92383]
    ------------

I second UFs advise....gotta get that *@#^& crap outta the system or you'll soon have the same problem as before.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    I second UFs advise....gotta get that *@#^& crap outta the system or you'll soon have the same problem as before.
    Did you happen to watch the video of my system above? I am of the impression that my two stage filter systems are doing a good job at catching (and cleaning) the system. For example, on that video, you will see me actually washing one of the grow bed filters and an insane amount of filth gets washed out of it. That is all "crap" that these filters are catching and REMOVING from the system which otherwise would have remained in there.

So my plan is to keep the system "running" without fish for at least a couple of weeks, and during that time I will be constantly cleaning the filters until they look less & less crappy. That should indicate that the water is becoming more clean, and hopefully indicate that fish can be put in there again.
    ------------

nice looking system....
    Just wondering why you do not use an overflow from your FT to the Filter then pump to your GB?
    Also, does your FT water level fluctuate a lot? I had a similar design in one of my earlier systems and it seemed that the water fluctuated too much for my liking....
    I do like the underwater vacuum idea...Please let us know how that works for you.
    Thanks for showing us your system
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha Don
    nice looking system....
    Just wondering why you do not use an overflow from your FT to the Filter then pump to your GB?
    That was one of my next "projects" to do. My original thought was to make an overflow to the filter.....have the filter overflow into a sump, and pump the sump to the grow beds. The only reason why I haven't done that yet is because (and correct me if I'm wrong), in order to do that, I would have to LOWER my current filter practically on the ground (because the overflow from the tank can't be higher than the tank as it is now). So I would have to lower that filter below the height of the tank, which then seems like it would be a P.I.T.A. to drain out (since my drainage valve would now be on the floor and not over a bucket as it is now).

Also, does your FT water level fluctuate a lot? I had a similar design in one of my earlier systems and it seemed that the water fluctuated too much for my liking....
    Yes it does (mainly in the summer) when it's hot. That's the main reason why I considered the solution above so there would be a constant height in the tank. I just am not sure how to logistically set that up, given my current hardware and layout.

I do like the underwater vacuum idea...Please let us know how that works for you.
    Thanks for showing us your system
    I somehow feel like the vacuum idea is good IN THEORY, but I also feel like I can be doing "something" more to the design to make it a little better. But it seems to be working, in the fact that it's sucking lightweight particles from one end of the tank, and moving them over to the pump side of the tank.
    ------------

from the video it appears you can actually lower your filter by about 8 inches and still have clearance to place the bucket under the clean out valve. If you use a smaller bucket you could lower it more. This may give you enough room to use a venturi type siphon that will suck the gunk off the bottom as well....
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha Don
    from the video it appears you can actually lower your filter by about 8 inches and still have clearance to place the bucket under the clean out valve. If you use a smaller bucket you could lower it more. This may give you enough room to use a venturi type siphon that will suck the gunk off the bottom as well....
    Yes, I would definitely need a smaller bucket. My decision right now is whether to 1) drill a hole into the fish tank to make the overflow valve......or 2) build a PVC overflow which would require no cutting in the tank.

I am leaning towards option #2 so that I don't have to purchase a new hole saw and possibly screw up my tank. Less room for error!
    ------------