Members

Question about pH

I hope this is in the appropriate section. I recently found out about aquaponics. To get started, I posted on my local email list to see if anyone would be interested in giving away an old fish tank. To my surprise, a guy gave me a fish tank, with fish still in it, and a whole bunch of other supplies to keep it going strong. I tested the pH using the handy dandy kit that the guy provided, and see that the pH is well over 8. I changed out part of the water yesterday, and the pH is back up again. The fish seem fine, but from what I have read, this seems really really high. Any advice on how to determine if there is a problem? When I introduce plants, should that lower the pH? If it a problem to introduce plants into water that is so high?

A little help will go a long way. Thanks!

Re: Question about pH

All of the other readings will be needed to help I believe. What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? How big of a tank, how many fish and what size and type? I think with that info one of the experienced people will have an answer for you.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Good call, Roger. Ammonia seems to be near zero. Same with Nitrites. Nitrates appear to be between 40-80ppm. I can't tell the differences in the color on the chart. The water in the tank is in a space of about 14x9x7 inches. I am not sure how to calculate an accurate water volume. There are about 8 or 9 really small fish, all but one or two are about 3/4 of an inch or so, maybe smaller. I don't know what kind of fish they are, as the guy gave me his tank.

I hope that helps. As I said, a little help goes a long way. Thanks!

Your pH is okay. Your system may already be cycling nitrogen efficiently given that reading. I would consider introducing the plants sooner than later.

Members

Awesome. I got the seeds today and plan on starting then later tonight. Thanks so much, guys!

What kind of system do you have?.....
    Any updates for us?
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar