Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting plants

Starting plants

I seem to be having some problems getting plats to start. I think I have a black thumb. Would it be helpful to star the seed to sprout stage before adding them to the grow bed? I have planted spinach twice, two weeks apart over the last three weeks and have yet to get the first sprout. I am staying with leafy greens. My lettuce came right up and appears to be doing fine. Remember that this system is in my basement and I just solved my lighting problems thanks to the help of Oliver and others and the system is now fully cycled. Is it possible to have the lighting to close? I have since moved it up some to accommodate the growth of the lettuce. I also planted broccoli, it has stalled out like my lettuce used to do, I am assuming that it would not fit the category of leafy green. It is a fill and drain system and I have double checked that I do not have to much media as to make it to shallow on the fill portion. Any helpful hints to turn my thumb green other than hit it with my hammer and wait for the bruise begin to turn?
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Re: Starting plants

What is the temp in your basement? Spinach likes cooler temps.
    Are you starting your seeds in growcubes or spreading in your GB media?
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Basement is in the 75 degree range year round. I am just spreading the seed, I don't want to introduce foreign substances to the grow bed.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Your seeds need to be started in grow cubes which are usually made from rock wool or peat which will not hurt your system.

They should be transplanted to your system when they have two real leaves showing and not before.

Lettuce does real well in a raft system. Check out this video...I realize it is a hydroponic system but that has no bearing on the fact the lettuce is doing fantastic in a raft syste.

Is it Lettuce or $$$$$$

Additionally, the lighting should be as close as possible to your plants as long as it does not burn the leaves and should be raised periodically to account for growth.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Roger, I've had some issues with spinach as well. The germination rate is nowhere near that of lettuce for me, but starting them in rock wool and growing medium (pro mix) has worked ok. I placed two seeds in each cube, and just started more than I needed.

The temperature should be on the cooler side also. Mine germinated with a temperature similar to yours, but that is probably on the high end for spinach.

It would seem to me that starting in rock wool would work but then adding it to the grow bed seems to be adding junk that will need to be cleaned out later. Am I thinking wrong? Does it come out with the plant?

Well at least I can recycle a plant. Celery regrowing from some bought from the store. Question, should it be put in the grow ex when it gets going good or just let it float?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	4105  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sooner or later it's going to get top heavy...wait for a good growth of roots then gentely put in grow bed
    JCO
    so never forget

The plants roots will interlace with the rockwool and when the plant is finally removed, the rockwool comes out with it
    JCO
    so never forget

Thanks for the clarification JCO. Off to the store to buy some rock wool! When starting them should they sit in water or just on a tray and spray them occasionally? Can you tell I've never gardened before?