I seem to be having some problems getting plats to start. I think I have a black thumb. Would it be helpful to star the seed to sprout stage before adding them to the grow bed? I have planted spinach twice, two weeks apart over the last three weeks and have yet to get the first sprout. I am staying with leafy greens. My lettuce came right up and appears to be doing fine. Remember that this system is in my basement and I just solved my lighting problems thanks to the help of Oliver and others and the system is now fully cycled. Is it possible to have the lighting to close? I have since moved it up some to accommodate the growth of the lettuce. I also planted broccoli, it has stalled out like my lettuce used to do, I am assuming that it would not fit the category of leafy green. It is a fill and drain system and I have double checked that I do not have to much media as to make it to shallow on the fill portion. Any helpful hints to turn my thumb green other than hit it with my hammer and wait for the bruise begin to turn?