Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: stucco's system Expansion

very nice set up, if it were not for the four seasons ,i'd move south
    one life one love.

Thank you mpugh5! The weather here is still HOT. My system is doing better since we replaced the shade cloth. 50% shade cloth is not a good idea even thou it is used at the plant nurseries. Plants growing are Malabar spinach, lemon basil, romaine lettuce, butter crunch lettuce, red sails lettuce, jalapeño, turnips, broccoli, Collards, Brusselsprouts , kohlrabi, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, dinosaur kale. Fish growing are 200 or more tilapia, 20 or so brim and blue gill, 2 brown hobolo, 5 golden shiners, 15 koi and one sucker fish. jon
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

I noticed you are using the bell siphons, have you had any issues with these?

Hi wolfracer, I’ve had no problems with the bells once I figured out what works for me. The trick was a slight upward angle on the discharge pipe. I use 1” ½ for the stand pipe and a 3” bell with air line tubing for the siphon breaker. My 7’x3’ bed drains in about 2 minutes.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

I think I will be using bells in my next build. I also like your stucco growbeds. How are they working out? Have you finished the waterproofing yet?

I've been following this thread with interest, now I've got a couple of questions .... The link you provided for the STO product PDF specifically says it's not for potable water projects, so has it been 'improved or upgraded' since this data sheet?
    Division 3
    81241 Sto Watertight Coat Gray
    81242 Sto Watertight Coat White
    Sto Watertight Coat is a fluid applied waterproofing membrane with a low vapor permeability based on a unique combination of acrylic emulsion, Portland cement and fine fibers. Use it to waterproof all types of above- or below-grade concrete and masonry including foundations, block walls, balconies, parapets, planter boxes, non-potable water tanks and fountains.
    Also, did I understand you to say that there is a rubberized stucco that would be spread on the mesh to create a thin membrane over the wood/metal? That sounds like the start of a huge FT to me
    I'd like to make a plywood tank that I could rubberize easily and cheaply to make a large FT.

Thanks, and I apologize if I misunderstood anything, just chalk it up to senior moments
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Hey guys, I have finished the waterproofing. Now I’m saving for the rocks.
    Jackalope,” senior moments” at least you have an excuse. :P The rubberized stucco I was talking about is the watertight coat. The watertight goes over the stucco. It is not recommended for use over wood. Watertight did get the approval for potable water usage. Here is the link.
    http://www.stocorp.com/servicessto.nsf/ ... estions#R7

If you want to build a large fish tank cheap and easy, check out the links I posted earlier in this thread on ferrocement.

Growth from oct. 16 to nov. 3

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    Jackalope,” senior moments” at least you have an excuse. :P The rubberized stucco I was talking about is the watertight coat. The watertight goes over the stucco. It is not recommended for use over wood.
    Shucks!!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Hey guys, I got the auto siphons hooked up yesterday. They are working like a charm.