Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How I DECIMATED my aquaponics system and I have no idea

Photos will do OK and YES, to clean a grow bed you have to take it all the way down, all media out and re-washed to clear water and the gunk removed from the empty bed.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Just seems bad to take it all the way down like that....
    It seems that would eliminate all the good bacteria and nutrients that took so long to acquire.
    After you do this, would you have to recycle the system prior to planting again?
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha Don
    Just seems bad to take it all the way down like that....
    It seems that would eliminate all the good bacteria and nutrients that took so long to acquire.
    After you do this, would you have to recycle the system prior to planting again?
    More than likely you have more than a single growbed so the bacterial population in the other grow beds NOT being cleaned is undisturbed. Also, you don't sanitize the media in the bed being cleaned. You just gently rinse it off and remove the fish turds and muck out the sludge in the bottom of the bed. A viable, healthy population of bacteria should remain.

I have done multiple GB cleanings over the last few years without any adverse impact at all on my water quality. No recycling was required.

Shoveling out 2 tons of gravel from a growbed, rinsing it, and shoveling it back in again is a hot, smelly, nasty, back breaking chore. It is also one best not undertaken without an adequate beer supply on hand!

Touching on this subject........what are your thoughts on the suggestion which was made about FLOODING the grow bed for cleaning?

As an example, I have three 45 gallon grow beds filled with Hydroton. Let's assume that all the plants are pulled so they're empty. The suggestion was made that you can extend the stand pipe as high as you can, and then FLOOD the grow bed. Essentially, your grow bed would look like a big bowl of floating Cocoa Puffs, which you can swirl around.

So if you get a pipe or stick which is long enough to stir up the bottom, you can stir it up, and then pull out the stand pipe to drain all the sludge out. Now repeat the same steps 2-3 times, or until the water exiting the grow bed is no longer dark or murky.

I don't THINK that will have too much effect on the bacteria, since I'm pretty sure all the micro-pores of the Hydroton will still house plenty of bacteria which will pick up again. What are your thoughts on that method, and has anyone here tried it?
    ------------
    My System: Jeff's Backyard System Here We Go!

That sounds easier than I pictured.
    How often should the GBs be cleaned?
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

You are not going to be able to clean a grow bed very well in that fashion. You would do better by flooding the bed, swishing, swirliing and stirring the bed and allowing it to fill to overflow over the sides taking the gunk and dirty water with it.
    JCO
    so never forget

Jeff, I emptied my growbed just a few months after I started and you would not believe the amount of roots down onthe growbed. Now imagine 2 years of growth and all the fish waiste, dirt and dust, dead bugs etc.. If your going to clean, bite the bullet and remove the hydroton. I think it will be like the old oil filter commercial, "pay me now, or pay me later".
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Just one thought on your perennial plantings Jeff, once you bite the bullet and clean out the GB, you may want to plant your perennials in wicking pots set in the media. You can reference JCO's very picturesque thread for a picture of something similar. This way, when you inevitably have to clean out the GB's in the future, you can minimize disturbing the perennials.

I have some smart pots (fabric 5 gal bags) that I plan to set in my hydroton bed in this manner, and I'll post pictures once i have this setup. This may give you a better idea of what I mean.

Members

Am I understanding from this thread that using a GB for a filter results in cleaning it every two years? A system should have a sump tank and biofilter BEFORE it dumps into the GB to avoid this?
    Thanks

Am I understanding from this thread that using a GB for a filter results in cleaning it every two years? A system should have a sump tank and biofilter BEFORE it dumps into the GB to avoid this?
    You hit the nail right square on the head. Learn from our previous mistakes and do it right the first time.
    JCO
    so never forget