Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: Pipe Siphon by Apollo

Thanks, I've never had a Algae bloom...my water has always been crystal clear. The high Nitrate levels have not bothered the fish but seem to be taken a toll on my plants. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the high levels are burning up most of my plants. Bell peppers, leafy stuff and strawberries are doing well...most the other stuff will do alright for a short period then will start to dry out and die.

JCO you stated that an "Algae bloom will eat up most of the nitrates and fish like algae." so is there a way to produce an algae bloom? In doing so, I could get my Nitrates down to a level that is not burning up my plants.

Do you have Butterfly KOI? Do they swim slow enough to allow the Tilapia Fry's to avoid becoming their lunch?

Is your system outside in full sun? If it is and you've never had an algae bloom, you've got one heck of a filtering system. All it takes to produce an algae bloom is nitrates and lots of sunlight. As for the nitrates burning up your plants, I don't think that's the case.

If your Bell peppers, leafy stuff and strawberries are doing fine, then I would say the problem is possibly a lack of iron? potassium? calcium? Someting is lacking somewhere and the other plants aren't getting everything they need to prosper.

I don't raise butterfly KOI and they don't swim any slower than regular KOI, however once KOI are about 3 to 4 months old they go from being carnivorous to vegeterians. The will even eat shredded lettuce as long as the pieces are small enough to get in their mouths. They are also worth more per pound than any other fish you can raise and are much easier to raise and care for.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

My system gets morning sun, high noon and evening shade from the trees...water has always been super clear.

How can I test for lack of iron? potassium? calcium? What might I add to the water that the high Nitrates do not provide?

You stated that butterfly KOI don't swim any slower than regular KOI. Well, I bought 3 that are about 4 inches long and placed them in my floating duckweed tank. They can dart at 45 degree angles faster the I have ever seen a fish move before...kind of cool looking in both appearances and in the way they move.

Apparently your system does not get enough sunlight for algae. I wouldn't worry about it since it's clear you can at least see your fish. My 4,000 inground fish tank constantly looks like pea soup
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

JCO stated "If your Bell peppers, leafy stuff and strawberries are doing fine, then I would say the problem is possibly a lack of iron? potassium? calcium? Something is lacking somewhere and the other plants aren't getting everything they need to prosper."

Let me revisit the words (well or fine) and changed it to alive for an extended period of time, but could be doing so much better.

JCO I think you nailed it on the iron, my systems runs mainly on rain water...probably not much iron in it. I order some FeEDDHA which will work with pH levels between 5.8 to 9, also order a test kit to keep an eye on the iron level.

Thank you for the help, glad I found all you guys!

__________________________________________________ ________________
    I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison

Red, Red, Red ! ! ! Wow, I turn all my Pink Tilapia's into gold fish...just added 6% Iron EDDHA. Made my crystal clear water look like strawberry pouch, looks awesome???

Has anyone used this product? Does the red go away? I did bring my Iron level from zero to 0.8
    I was trying to get it between 2.0 - 3.0 but not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Any suggestion or help out there? Add more iron, stop, start doing water exchanges?

No more RED, and iron levels are coming up...I will never use 6% Iron EDDHA again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow what product was it for future reference?

Sorry, for not relying sooner but this new site doesn't notify when someone reply's to any of my post. So I don't get on here much anymore.

The product is from Allied Aqua, it's IRON DTPA Chelated Iron 11%