Hybrid View

Pipe Siphon by Apollo

Pipe Siphon by Apollo;

Thank you all for the advice on Bell Siphons and the use of a Continuous Flow System. After weeks of not getting the proper results . I figured out an easier and more efficient way of circulating the flow on my aquaponics system. No Bells, No Reducers, No Little Air Bleed Off Tubes, No Moving Parts, nothing to tinker with on a weekly basis, takes minutes not hours to set-up and costs less.

Pipe Siphon by Apollo is made from the same size pipe you would make your Bell Siphon stand pipe from. Just add a tee on the top of the pipe, two 90’s, two down pipes (all the same size) and no funnels, floating caps or restrictors. At the end of the two down pipes you need to add a media blocker. I bought two 6” round atrium gates at a cost of $7.31 each for my media blockers (Cutting your old media blocker in half, adding more holes or slots to the upper portion and capping off the tops would work too).

I have two 300 gallon GBs with a 850 gallon fish tank . My Pipe Siphons are made from 1 ½ " PVC Pipe, Tee’s & 90’s . The top of my Pipe Siphon is about 1 ½“ down from the top edge of the GB . Both down pipes stop about 1 ½” from the bottom of the GB. (PLEASE NOTE! Both down pipes need to be even at the water line to help break the siphon at the end of the drain cycle). This is all connected to an existing 2” bulkhead fitting, one 90 elbow and about 20” of 2“ pipe and another 90 elbow at the end of that pipe (in the fish tank). This elbow helps to fine tune your siphon, point it up at a slight angle to help it “FIRE” sooner, keeping if closer to level will help it reset. Your pipe siphon will take several gulps of air before loosing enough water volume to break it’s siphon. I’m not sure how this will work if your pipe siphon and your drain are the same size pipe, but if your Bell Siphon System worked at least part time I think you’ll be fine.

The principle behind the Pipe Siphon by Apollo is it takes two down pipes for each stand pipe to fire the system. When the down pipes sucks air it cuts the siphon, which then shuts the system down. You should be able to run a higher volume of water into your GB. If at the end of the drain cycle air gulps fails to stop the system, decrease your water flow little by little to the GB until it breaks the siphon or turn the 90 elbow in your fish tank closer to level.

So far, so good, and I'm very satisfied with the circulating flow. My large GB's will fill in 8 minutes and drain in 4 minutes @ about 900 gallons of water flow per hour, per GB.

Now to let the system settle in and decide what plants and fish to put in the tanks. Anybody know of a good source for hybrid striped bass and freshwater prawns in Arizona???

I made a mental note of this sign when I was attempting to get the Bell Siphon to work!
    I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison

The inserts between the Tee and the 90's are just small sections of pipe.

Anyone need some slightly used Bell Siphons?

GB & FT under construction, Quail cage in the back ground.

Pipe Siphon & Water Level Gauge just behind it.

Pipe Siphon by Apollo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130828_131810.jpg 
Views:	1051 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	4789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cell phone #2 432.jpg 
Views:	973 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	4790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cell phone #2 360.jpg 
Views:	1027 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	4791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cell phone #2 459.jpg 
Views:	994 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	4792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cell phone #2 451.jpg 
Views:	986 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	4793  

No Apollo, you misunderstood me. I did not disable your emails in any way. I had disabled the emails that were sent out to all members when a member had not been on the site for a while. You know the ones I mean, the "We want you back". You had mentioned those emails and I had thought you had meant that they might be annoying. I have re-read your email and as I must have read into it more then you meant, I will re-activate them. When someone responds to your posts, you should be receiving an email. I am just not sure why you are not other then emails from me.

Jason

Well, I gave it my best...I can grow fish, duck weed, salsa peppers, jalapeno peppers & bell peppers. Aquaponic Gardening for me has not worked to produce plant life...all plants in my Organic Garden have grown 2 to 10 times better.

I have seen it work...but not for me. Love my fish tank and I will keep the system up & running but will grow 95% of plants in my Organic Garden.

After 3 years, 2 month and 25,335 Views, I guess I'm DONE. Good Luck too all and remember in order to keep the FREE KNOWLEDGE coming, you as a viewer have to do your part. Sad to see all of the old crowd gone, the ones with the real knowledge. This site gave me 95% of what I needed to be a success before it died, maybe with just a bit more knowledge I could have been successful.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison

Hi Apollo,

I am sorry to hear that things did not work out for you, but am glad to hear that your "Organic Garden" is working great. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
    Jason

Lost this 3 1/2 year old Pink Tilapia when my power went down doing a rain strom. I went to work with out checking on the tank...no water flow = no oxygen from splash return and water temp got down to 55 degrees. All fish were breathing air from the surface about 12 hours after power had gone off. 1 fish died about 24 hours after system was restored and one died 3 days later.

When I bought this fry he was about 1/2" long...now he's part of my Organic Garden.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish #!.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	5010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish #2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	5009

What is the life expectancy of a Pink Tilapia? I now have one of my 3 1/2 year old fish playing possum on the bottom of the tank. She has been doing this for weeks...laying on her side not moving. As soon as I try to net her she swim away like nothing is wrong...old fish or sick fish?

Is she eatable or not? Leave her in the tank or end her life? Maybe the lack of oxygen from 2 months ago did some brain damage?

Hope to hear back from someone.

Thanks, Apollo

Hey Apollo,

Great to hear from you. While I have not had any experience with the Pink Tilapia breed, they are part of the Tilapiine Cichlid family, so I would expect the life span of around ten years. So your pet at this point is still young. How many do you have left, and are they all playing possum or just the one? Could it be protecting a breeding spot? Just guessing.

Jason

I have about 15 older Tilapia, 20 younger ones, two 8" Gold Fish, two 17" Butterfly Koi. All are doing fine...Ive seen them rest on the bottom of the pond before but never laying on their side. Not in any special spot

Well, it has been 6 1/2 years and my pipe siphon has been running like a champ. I only had to pull it out once, and that was to clean out the roots that were restrict the flow of water.

I would love to hear from any of the old timers, but I know that since the site has been reworked I have not gotten many notifications. Out of over 37,700 views I thank I only had 70 reply's and that was all in the early days,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Apollo has left the building!

Apollo here, I am no longer am doing my aquaponics and will be selling or giving away all of my stuff.

If you want something, please email me at rodreynolds72@gmail.com. or reply to this post.

This site has been viewed over 90,383 times...it's been fun...good luck...Apollo has left the building.