Hello this is The RedLegA1, I am new to this forum. I live in Central Virginia, zone 7a. last year I asked the question, "what am I really eating and am I killing myself with bad food". Short answer, "not eating good stuff and yes you are killing yourself with processed food and sugar". Through my reading and research I found Permaculture and I have recently completed the Geoff Lawton, "Permaculture Design Certificate Course". Aquaculture was included as a chapter in the course. Aquaculture/Aquaponics is a subject much broader than what can be covered in a course like the PDC so I am continuing to try to learn. Before I found Permaculture I spent some time trying to figure out how to get to the Virgin Islands deal but was stymied by the cost as well. I did much research on Aquaponics and Aquaculture and kept coming up with the same process, "give me your money and then I will give you some information". So, after a year of much clicking and viewing videos and reading little snippets of information here and there, I came across DIY-Aquaponics. Thank You JCO... I just purchased the DIY PDF and have begun to read it. So far I like your approach and will continue to stay connected with this forum and blog based on first glance I think I can do my part to help get the word out and help a bit with donations.

Two things on my mind:
A - quick overview of my planned, designed system. I will have two systems
INDOOR GREENHOUSE
-400 square feet glass and plastic
-2-250 gallon IBC tanks
-3: 55 gallon plastic barrels split in 1/2 for grow beds with gravel
-not sure on fish species

OUTDOOR POND
-1700 gallons
-multiple barrel grow beds with gravel. Beds embedded in raised soil with wooden enclosures for freeze protection
-during winter months possibly station hoops covers over grow beds, but I understand that the fish will slow down and not eat
-not sure on fish species

B - what suggestions does the brain-trust offer in my start-up phase
-fish species
-filtering & pumping
-sump basins
-additional biology to the growbeds
-etc...