Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Members

Re: Automation controled aquaponic systems

Sensors are the next step. I have to do research on what's available and what interfaces nicely with the arduino, making sure I'm putting round pegs in round holes so to speak.

You may have already seen this arduino based system...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2wWTads ... e=youtu.be

Members

Ya, my dad sent me that video right after I got the thing. I've tried to find the website he was using to get the "instant code" as a reference, but unsuccessful so far. The whole point for me is learning, so the search has still turned up good stuff.

Check out this link Electronic PH, ammonia sensors.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

ive been looking at atlasscientific.com. they seem to have a temp , DO, and ph sensor, but kind of exspensive. I would like to know if they would work or not with the arduinos system. that ph sesor is about 110.00 but i cant find a cheaper one. all pretty cool. i like learning new things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sebarker75
    ive been looking at atlasscientific.com. they seem to have a temp , DO, and ph sensor, but kind of exspensive. I would like to know if they would work or not with the arduinos system. that ph sesor is about 110.00 but i cant find a cheaper one. all pretty cool. i like learning new things like this.
    The ph sensor on that site appears to be a quality set up. Plus, the give you the coding to connect the sensor controller to your Arduino. IMO, that is a great price. The sensors that we supply to our customers are much more expensive (around $1000 for a sensor and controller). Pretty sweet site. I had not seen that one yet.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Members

Just looking at that code, you may want to look into using the avr chips in-built timers.

Da' reason:

using the delay() function actually stops the board from doing anything at all for however long you specify. Timers are literally just that: timers. You start a clock built into the avr chips, and call an interrupt when that hits a certain level.
    You may want to look up arduino timers. The code all looked great.

One note on the resistors connected to the board: No sigle hardware componant measures in amperage, unless it is designed to test for amperage. They are always controlled by voltage. So if you need to control something, and don't just need on/off, go for the analog pins (A0-A5 on the Uno), they control voltage. If you need to change the amperage, go for a transistor on an analog pin, the higher the voltage, the more current (or less resistance).

If you really want to automate it though, I recommend you use an arduino for the sensors and controlling things, and then go for a raspberry pi (or beagleone black) to actually control everything, just use the arduino as a dumb controller and sensor interface. That way you can have a web server that you can visit to see. Also, with the pi, you can have a camera, which could take 10-second videos every, let's say, half an hour, just so you can see and catalog changes, especially when you're away.

Members

I dont know much about the sensor or what i need to look for. i was going to try that ph sensor, and DO sensor and the temp sensor from atlas. i wonder how they measure the sump tank and fish tank water level. i even saw where they monitor the water level in grow beds. i wonder how they do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sebarker75
    I dont know much about the sensor or what i need to look for. i was going to try that ph sensor, and DO sensor and the temp sensor from atlas. i wonder how they measure the sump tank and fish tank water level. i even saw where they monitor the water level in grow beds. i wonder how they do that.
    You can measure water depth by using a pressure sensor. This would give you an analog reading of the water level. I would be more concerned with the water level being too high or too low. For this you could find a float switch or something similar to alert you of the high or low level condition via a digital signal (on or off).
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

I bought a lot of 6 like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161070044880

There are also similar switches with two floats so you can have a "high" and a "low"... plus you can reverse the float(s) to have "normally open" or "normally closed" switch logic depending on what you're trying to do.

http://m4.sourcingmap.com/photo_new/...127_ux_g03.jpg
    It's all about the fish, dude.