Bell Siphon works but won't "fire"

I'm new to all this, kind of a learn as I go. Maybe not the best way of doing it...that being said. I have a GB that is 3.5 ft. x 10 ft. @ 14 inches. I have tried lot of different bell siphon designs. 1st one was a 4" Media blocker, 2" bell, 1" stand pipe with a 3/4" reducer at the bottom of the stand pipe. The 2nd one was a 6", 3" bell, 1 1/2" stand with a 3/4" reducer. Here is where I think I went wrong, All this connected to a 1" drain pipe, I used a 90 with a 20" long PVA then another 90 (this make a long pee trap). At that point I used a 90 to head to my Fish Tank with about 5 ft. of PVA at a slight downward angle. My G.B. is made out of block with 2" of cement on the bottom of it covered with a pond liner. All buried in the ground, my 1,280 gal Fish Tank is made the same way & is 7' x 7' @ 42" deep. The bottom water level of the G.B. is about 10" above the high water level of my tank.

Nice to find you guys, my girlfriend told me about you months age. I should have taken the time to do more research though this site. Would of, could of, save me a lot of time!

Members

Re: Bell Siphon works but won't "fire"

Welcome rodney.

I'm not too fond of bell siphons because in my experience they require periodic adjustments/tinkering. I've switched over to continual sub-surface flow; it is easy enough to modify a F&D bed to become a continuous flow bed. If you prefer to go with bell siphons, read up on affnan's work, who is considered by many to be the authority on these devices,
    http://www.affnanaquaponics.com/2010/02 ... _9459.html .

There are also many other posts on this site regarding bell siphons, and Oliver has quite a bit of experience/expertise with these devices.

Um, yeah, Rodney.... I'm going to need you to check this out.
    Need Help With Siphon Level
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Thank you, how do I find more information on continual sub-surface flow. At this point I'm willing to try just about anything.

To anyone that has a working Bell Siphon, I would like to find out the diameter size of your stand pipe & return pipe back to your fish tank. The amount of slope, length of return pipe, did you use a pee trap just below the Bell Siphon or not. Is it a straight shot to the tank or did you use any elbows?

I really believe that the problem I'm having has more to do with my return, not the Bell Siphon itself.

Thanks for any information you might send my way. Rod

Members

Rodney, I'm using 90's without a problem but not as long as you explained just a couple feet before it goes into the long 2" drain. Mine is 2" bell with 3/4 stand pipe and a 1"x3/4" reducer at the "top" of the stand pipe surrounded by 4" guard and cap. Don't know if that helps but it's been running for a few months with no issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	4021   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	276 
Size:	539.7 KB 
ID:	4022   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	282 
Size:	721.3 KB 
ID:	4023   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	281 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	4024  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Times!!!
    Reelinjbird

I stuck to the 2:1 ratio for my siphon. My bell is 3" and the standpipe is 1 1/2. My drain pipe is also 1 1/2. The drain goes down, makes a 90 and then goes through a 15" spray bar, makes another 90 and then another 90. In the second 90 I angled it up slightly to help the siphon start. It took some playing around with the angle on that second 90 and the amount of water going into the grow bed to get it to start properly and to end properly.

So what did you finally do about your Bell siphon Did you get it to work...photos and updates please.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Thanks for checking on my progress...well I changed my user name from Rodney to Apollo. I completely gave up on the Bell Siphon and went with my own design. I did post my progress under a new topic heading "Pipe Siphon by Apollo", working like clock work. Pictures are on that site, more to be added in a couple of day.

I made a mental note of this sign when I was attempting to get the Bell Siphon to work!
    I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison

I await your update ... complete with photos I hope
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Sorry, but instead of updating both sites all new information and pictures will be on my "Pipe Siphon by Apollo". Hope to see you there.