Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC Knowhow

Members

PVC Knowhow

Put glue on pvc parts, push two parts together, immediately let go and keep a careful on them. You will notice the two pieces sliding apart. This is the nature of pvc. The proper way is to hold them tight for 20 seconds, and this will insure a strong tight bond. Take some scrap and try it.

Re: PVC Knowhow

...try it with 24 inch pipe...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I was taught to also give the fittings a slight twist as you slide them together when possible. If you have to have elbows line up at a certain positon then dry fit them together and mark across both pieces. Then push them together with the marks offset a little and twist until the marks line up. This helps distribute the glue evenly and usually by the time you make the twist the joint is setting.
    If you can't do this because of the nature of the connection then of course use plenty of glue and hold the joint together.

Years ago when my home town switched from septic systems to a city sewer I spent nearly a year connecting homes to the new system. We could do three or four in a day and paid for the backhoe in one season. We glued lots of PVC that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger R.
    We could do three or four in a day and paid for the backhoe in one season. We glued lots of PVC that year.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

the only place i have any glued PVC is right after my pump..,i have a pipe union glued on, and can remove just that portion if needed
    you can "screw" fittings together with ss screws, makes changes easier
    you can "recover" glued fittings with a heat gun to soften the pvc and take the glued fitting off

Members

Greetings and sorry to bump an old thread with my first post.

I've searched the forum and am reading everything I can, but one area that I can not find information regarding plumbing is using PVC and PVC glue. Both seem to be "industry standard".

I have extensive experience with both setting up miles of the stuff for landscaping irrigation sprinkler systems.

Yet, I find very little to no research or concerns over the the pvc glue eventually breaking down and making its way into the water supply of the fish or veggies?

Am I over thinking this portion of hardware?

thanks
    david

I also had these concerns.
    To tell you the truth...since my small system is on my back patio, I did not glue anything.
    I just check the fittings periodically and so far it is holding good.
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

David, I asked the same question some time back and the answer was once the glue is dry you would be fine.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. I've even begun to wonder how many "kits" and "packages" being sold out there on the intranets, are using certified food grade or safe plastics through the entire system. My hope would be all of them and the hobbyists and professionals would be actively promoting them. I must keep reading !

To dedicate time and money trying to keep a system like this up and running using questionable plastics seems to be defeating the entire purpose of trying to grow healthy food.

I need to figure out a way around the PVC glue as a start

thanks
    david

David, I have some of my piping glued and some not glued. If there is any part that might get back pressure it is glued. If no pressure it is just pushed together real tight.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?