Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More info on cycling setup.

When you say add a small amount of diluted pure Ammonia to your fish tank once a day until the level start to increase. How much would be a small amount for a 1,300 gal tank and at what point do I stop adding Ammonia?

Any additional info would be helpful, Thanks Apollo

Re: More info on cycling setup.

Let's start with how big is your fish tank, what kind of fish do you have in it, how many fish do you have in it and how big are the fish in it?

As for adding ammonia to the fish tank. I advise against it.

Feed the fish twice a day all they will eat in 5 minutes and they will give you your ammonia providing there are enough of them and they are big enough to do the job. Otherwise add more fish or get bigger fish.

It is never necessary to add ammonia to a system if it is set up properly with the correct amount, size and type of fish.

Your fish are the engine, the fish food the fuel and ammonia is what you get; which the bio-filter, once cycled properly, will turn into all the nitrates necessary to feed your plants and clean the water to be returned to the fish.

Treat your Aquaponics System like a birthday cake.

1) Bake it
    2) Put the icing on it

AND most important

3) Keep your fingers out of it 'til it's time to cut for the birthday party.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

I have two GBs that are 3.5 ft. x 10 ft. @ 14 inches and a 1,280 gal Fish Tank that is 7' x 7' @ 42" deep. Filled with rain water, just turn on the pump about 5 days ago. Not sure as to what my next step should be, wait 6 weeks, add ammonia, add Neptune's Harvest Seaweed, add just a few starter Gold Fish or add lots of Tilapia.

The biggest problem you have with your system is the rain water. Rain water contains no minerals and it will be pH unstable. My suggestion is to dump the rain water and fill it with a source of water that contains minerals and hopefully a pH of around 7.5.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

The water in my system is about 80% rainwater, 20% well/city water. I my ph level is @ 7.5, free chlorine @ 0.5, total alkalinity @ 180. All levels are the same between my system water & well/city water. These are the only levels I can check until my other test kit arrives.

If you are going to use Tilapia, go ahead and add a few once the system has cycled for about a week. They will get the bacteria working.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Thanks, JCO

Oliver says "The biggest problem you have with your system is the rain water. Rain water contains no minerals and it will be pH unstable. My suggestion is to dump the rain water and fill it with a source of water that contains minerals and hopefully a pH of around 7.5".

What's your opinion?

Apollo

Apollo,
    I suggest that you do add fish to allow the cycling process to start....
    My biggest problem in my system was I kept trying to help and speed up the process....
    I would suggest that as you feed your fish 2 - 3 times daily, read Oliver's 101 series on this forum....
    That will help pass the time and give you more information on your system and what to expect....
    Don't forget to add plenty of air to the system
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Thanks, Aloha Don

With a 1300 gal FT how many and what size of Tilapia fish do you think I will need. As far as oxygen, I have about 1300 gals per hour returning to the FT on a loop from the pump back to the FT. Water enters on all four sides form a 3/4" PVA with 3/8" or larger holes drilled every 6", plus I have 1300 gals per hour returning back from my GBs which is falling 6" back into my FT. Dose that sound like it should do the trick?

Apollo

Apollo, Oliver is one of the most knowledgable people on the forum. He will not steer you wrong. You can probably stay with the rain water but it sounds to me you will have an inferior starting point and it will probably cause delayed or insufficient growth due to the lack of nutrients. Oliver has helped me more than once. I would say trust him, just my opinion.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?