Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Badflash's Greenhouse Build

Yes, I had a common 1" drain for 2 growbeds going to a 1.5" drain header. If one kicked it would cause the other to kick too, even if they were several inches apart. Tomorrow I will re-plumb so each bed has a separate entrance to the 1.5" drain.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Didn't work. I think I need a vent pipe between each drain to prevent the suction from kicking the others. The drain is pulling about 6"-7" of vacuum.

OK, using a vent between each drain works. The only issue I've seen now is that if one barrel is draining it can delay the trigger of another barrel but up to 2", so be sure you have that much room before your barrel overflows. With the fills and drain cycles all being independant, periodically one will be ready to kick just as another is draining.

My vents are just T's with a 4" standpipe.

Very interesting .....your saying, when one of the 1" standpipe/drains is flowing into the common 1 1/2 " drain....it still effects the 2nd grow bed ?

I was going to plumb 4 small grow beds...(each bed will only have aprox 7 1/2 gals of water,the rest of the volume being rock)....using 3/4 " stand pipes/drains, going to a 2" common header drain.
    I was already planning on a vent, on the common header....like they do on plumbing.
    Now I wonder, if I should use a 3" common header ???
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

When one bed is draining it fills the drain pipe and makes some back pressure. This prevents the others from kicking until the drain pipe clears. In my case, it only lasts 1 minute, and can raise the trigger point by about 2". I'm using a 1.5" drain. You may not need it with a 3".

Went into mass production mode today. Finished all the bell siphons and power washed the barrels. I also got 1200 pounds of river gravel (all the pick-up can pick up). After doing the figuring, it only saves me $6.50 a barrel, so I may end up getting the rest at Home depot as the quarry isn't open on Sunday.

Tomorrow I should get all the grow beds plumbed up and cycling. Probably clean Home Depot out of gravel too.

The test group of tilapia are doing fine. One jumped out, but I need to screen the pool any way. They don't need to be fed as the pool went totally green a couple of days after I added the fish. Once I put a cover over the pool, the algae will die off and feed the beds.

Started Swiss Chard, Chinese cabbage, and basil. They are up already. Got seed for turnip greens, broccoli, and some cubanelle peppers.

Members

Way to go Badflash,
    Congratulations on a Start Up.
    Dennis
    Oldandfound1
    When you get to my age you cannot think of something without being reminded of something else.
    George Burns

Sounds like your a busy guy !
    What 'bribes' work on your helper....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I am blessed with a son that doesn't need bribes. I just ask him to help and he does. It is actually choosing a great wife that does it.