Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Members

Re: My not-so-neat small apartment system

Quote Originally Posted by David - WI
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiemigue
    Welcome. If you have part of the water from the pump returning to the FT, you could add a spray bar or a venturi and save the energy required for an air pump
    Not really. The venturis that we have (properly sized, commercial product) reduce the flow from our pumps by 50%... meaning each venturi is taking 1hp to run.
    Well yes, in a properly planned out system you might save a few watts. But in this case with such a small and cheap system you save the cost for a good air pump, tubes and air stones, plus the movement in the FT gets better then using a smaller pump and a air pump.
    My pump is for 400L/hour and cost about 12€, a smaller pump would cost around 10€ and a good air pump around 12€ with tubes and airstones for another 3€.

I even got a swirl going in the tank, should be good for the fish I think... Like a hamster wheel for my gold fish.

Like a hamster wheel for my gold fish.
    Keep them little guys healthy so they can produce "healthy" byproducts
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

More photos please...worth a thousand words.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Here's two more pics.
    [attachment=0:17ngfjz7]5.JPG[/attachment:17ngfjz7]I just planted some seedlings I had "lying around". a sallad cutting from a store bought plant, some mint, watercress, a basil and a somewhat damaged dill that got like that when I tried to remove the rockwool.
    I also took a tomato cutting and planted, hopefully it will take. Otherwise I've put some salad, chillis and peppers-seeds in vermiculite that I'll plant "properly" when they're ready.

[attachment=1:17ngfjz7]4.JPG[/attachment:17ngfjz7]Here is a picture where you see the fish tank and my plumbing made from a 3€-garden hose splitter.
    I added about 6 liters more LECA yesterday but the water cleans up nicely. It was pitch black the first day.
    I didn't wash the beads because the dust should serve as a good carrier (right word?) for the bacteria and hopefully speed up the cycling.

I just got my brand new water test-kit, that I've been saving up for. It's a Sera aqua test box. =)

Maybe a little overkill but I've studied chemistry and to me a kit like that is christmas and midsummers eve all in one!

Right now the pH is 6.8-7 and everyday I've added a little compost-tea, fermented nettles, seaweed extract, calcium carbonate (egg shells) and used phosphoric acid as a pH down.
    Will start to test the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, KH and all the other cool stuff when I've read the instructions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (138.3 KB, 107 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (246.9 KB, 92 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (138.3 KB, 144 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (246.9 KB, 141 views)

Your system is not that old...If I am reading your posts correctly.
    Give it time to cycle properly and as the system matures the PH will drop through natural process
    High PH in the beginning actually helps the beneficial bacteria to thrive in your system.
    Also, how high does your water rise in your GBs. Ideally the top of your medium will remain dry.
    Thanks for the update...

Members

Aloha Don: Correct, just a few days old.

I felt I had to do something about the water chemistry since in the town I live in have the worst water in sweden. It's taken from a lake and purifed, not a underground spring. The water is very "soft" and has a pH well above 8.2 and it tastes horrible.
    Still safe and so on, but everyone around here complains about it.
    So I thought I lower it to a proper level with phosphoric acid and try to stabilize it with some roasted eggshells.
    The pH rises slowly over time, had a reading of 7.2 this morning, and if I add some form ammonia it will rise even more.
    Wouldn't the bacteria benifit from a added source of ammonia AND some acid at the same time?

My water rises to about 3/4 of the GB.
    I've sprayed the seedlings I planted with compost-tea 2-3 times a day to get them some nutrient through their leaves before they got big enough roots.
    I'm aware I might have to adjust the height of the loop siphon but I will wait a day or so and see how it goes. Some beads have begun to dry on the surface of the GB

Any updates on your system?

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha Don
    Any updates on your system?
    Thanks for asking. I've moved to backyardaquaponics after a little disagreement about freedom of speech with the moderator.

To much politics, to little aquaponics here.

My system is doing fine, just about cycled and will soon get some goldfish.

a little disagreement about freedom of speech with the moderator
    That's an untruth...NO moderator had a disagreement with you about freedom of speech! There has never been any restrictions on freedom of speech on this forum since I started it almost 6 years ago but I will not tolerate personal attacks on myself or any member of this forum from any other member just because their personal opinion differs from any individual/s on this forum.

You popped into a thread in the SUMP where keith_r and I were discussing an issue to do with American social issues and your last and one and only post in that thread was that you were leaving because of the thread. I don't know what it had to do with you but you are welcome to go or stay anytime you like. Why you chose to leave because of our discussion is beyond me.

To much politics, to little aquaponics here.
    This forum was created for mature adults to pursue knowledge about the technologies of Aquaponics. Our SUMP is like Las Vegas....what happens in the SUMP stays in the SUMP. You don't have to read the posts in the SUMP if you don't want to and you don't have to agree with them. That's why the SUMP was created by the members of this forum in the first place.

You left this forum because you didn't agree with what was being said about American social issues and American political views, none of which have anything to do with you in Sweden, so where's the rub?

I don't think you are being fair to all the members who eagerly assisted you and answered all your questions about how to do this or that when you first appeared on the forum. You apparently didn't find too little Aquaponics here then.

You can frequent whatever forum you want, come or go, it's of no consequence to me, but I think you owe the members of DIY Aquaponics Forum an apology.

I challenge you to do the right thing
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Amen! I was very surprised when I read both of those comments and could not believe the validity of either statement.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?