Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

My not-so-neat small apartment system

I've finally got everything together and my system is now up and running. It's taken a lot more time than I thought it would. Mainly because I've had problems finding the right plumbing supplies, being lazy (it's been baking hot in my apartment), getting the god damn loop-siphon to work and the big undertaking of tidying up in my living room so I could make room for it and making sure nothing sits directly on the floor in cause of a water leak.

My system is based on this design http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...-System/#step1, but like with everything I do mine is not so tidy and with a lot of changes that might or might not work.

Anyway... here are some pictures.
    [attachment=2:2cuq9i0k]1.JPG[/attachment:2cuq9i0k]
    I would like to raise it up so it's level with the window and will probably do that further on.
    [attachment=1:2cuq9i0k]2.JPG[/attachment:2cuq9i0k]
    I decided to put a loop siphon instead of a bell siphon in order to get more space inside the growbed.
    It was also a big hassle to paint the GB and the FT, I got a hold of a, very expensive, oil based red primer and painted them black with a cheap plastic spray paint on top of that. I hindsight I should've just covered them in aluminium foil or black garbage bags. But the colour is kind of cool. Reminds of those raspberry/licorice wine gums you can get here in sweden called "red skulls". :P

[attachment=0:2cuq9i0k]3.JPG[/attachment:2cuq9i0k]
    My plan is to make a few "strawberry towers" from PET-bottles like a window farm but using the excess power from my pump to have a constant flow through them. I hanged 4 bottles not yet painted in the window so you could get an idea. I reckon I can put 16 bottles with a plant in each in just that window.

The clay beads (LECA, sometimes called hydroton) floats so I've haven't been able to plant anything yet. I read they will eventually sink.

The plan is to cycle the system with compost tea and seaweed extract for 2 weeks and then buy some goldfish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (119.3 KB, 344 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (132.7 KB, 328 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (74.1 KB, 317 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (119.3 KB, 387 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (132.7 KB, 381 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (74.1 KB, 378 views)

Re: My not-so-neet small apartment system

Looking good so far... a little fermented human urine (tinkle in a 2 liter plastic bottle and let it set for a couple days...smells terrible but is ammonia rich) will help with the bacteria growth. Keep the photos coming
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Re: My not-so-neat small apartment system

JCO: Thanks! But perhaps the pictures made it look a little better then it is. The "plumbing" is just garden hose-stuff and some zip-ties. I couldn't find any PVC t-joints and ball valve's around here. There's is pvc piping, but the valves are always brass.
    Cheaper to buy a few meters of garden hose too... :P

I've thought about storing my own urine. Even about doing a "pee-ponics" setup, but maybe I'll wait with that one until I've moved out to the country side.
    Meanwhile I actually have a bottle of fermented nettles från General Hydroponics I bought last year. Will use that one as a ammonia source until it runs out.

It doesn't have to be fancy or pretty as long as it works...
    There are many ways to put together a system and now you have done it!
    Good job!!!
    I may have missed it but do you have a small air pump in your FT?
    Thanks for the pics and keep up the good work...
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

Thanks Don.

No, no air pump yet. But the pump is so powerfull it actually produces a swirl in the ft. Will add air stones later when I've added fish.

Members

Welcome. If you have part of the water from the pump returning to the FT, you could add a spray bar or a venturi and save the energy required for an air pump

Members

Eddiemigue: I've done that now, had the venturi on the bottom of the FT so the water was in motion but have raised above the surface now. Don't think any more aeration will be necessary.

The clay-beads rise about 6-7 cm when the GB is being filled. Will it eventually settle down? Been running the system for 24 hours now, with no noticeable change...

Members

Once the hydroton saturates, it should settle down.

Members

It turns out I hadn't put enough beads in my GB. When I added 4-5 liters more to fill it up completely the rising of the beads went down from 6 cm to just 0,5 cm, witch is what I hoped for.

Was afraid the clay beads would fall out of the grow bed, but it turned out fine.

Have planted my first seedlings now. =)

Quote Originally Posted by eddiemigue
    Welcome. If you have part of the water from the pump returning to the FT, you could add a spray bar or a venturi and save the energy required for an air pump
    Not really. The venturis that we have (properly sized, commercial product) reduce the flow from our pumps by 50%... meaning each venturi is taking 1hp to run.
    It's all about the fish, dude.