Threaded View

Members

My not-so-neat small apartment system

I've finally got everything together and my system is now up and running. It's taken a lot more time than I thought it would. Mainly because I've had problems finding the right plumbing supplies, being lazy (it's been baking hot in my apartment), getting the god damn loop-siphon to work and the big undertaking of tidying up in my living room so I could make room for it and making sure nothing sits directly on the floor in cause of a water leak.

My system is based on this design http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...-System/#step1, but like with everything I do mine is not so tidy and with a lot of changes that might or might not work.

Anyway... here are some pictures.
    [attachment=2:2cuq9i0k]1.JPG[/attachment:2cuq9i0k]
    I would like to raise it up so it's level with the window and will probably do that further on.
    [attachment=1:2cuq9i0k]2.JPG[/attachment:2cuq9i0k]
    I decided to put a loop siphon instead of a bell siphon in order to get more space inside the growbed.
    It was also a big hassle to paint the GB and the FT, I got a hold of a, very expensive, oil based red primer and painted them black with a cheap plastic spray paint on top of that. I hindsight I should've just covered them in aluminium foil or black garbage bags. But the colour is kind of cool. Reminds of those raspberry/licorice wine gums you can get here in sweden called "red skulls". :P

[attachment=0:2cuq9i0k]3.JPG[/attachment:2cuq9i0k]
    My plan is to make a few "strawberry towers" from PET-bottles like a window farm but using the excess power from my pump to have a constant flow through them. I hanged 4 bottles not yet painted in the window so you could get an idea. I reckon I can put 16 bottles with a plant in each in just that window.

The clay beads (LECA, sometimes called hydroton) floats so I've haven't been able to plant anything yet. I read they will eventually sink.

The plan is to cycle the system with compost tea and seaweed extract for 2 weeks and then buy some goldfish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (119.3 KB, 348 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (132.7 KB, 329 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (74.1 KB, 323 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (119.3 KB, 396 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (132.7 KB, 391 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (74.1 KB, 385 views)