Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

AP as school project

Hello,

Me and my son are thinking of building a small AP system as his science project in school.

Have anyone built a small system for demonstration purpose only? Want to know some tips

thanks

Re: AP as school project

Welcome to the forum....First step is to learn something about Aquaponics...check out this link and when you have a handle on it, come back to ask the question for what your don't understand
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

To measure is to know

Members

Thanks JCO and Oliver I will comeback when I have the grasp to ask the proper questions.

Read, read, read....learn, learn, learn and what you can't figure out, we will guide you through it so it come out professional for you child.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

and yes, it will work on a small scale!

Rutan, an excellent book to read is available right here on the site. Just click on the home page, order, and begin to learn. You will find yourself referring back to the book over and over. Good luck with the project.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

+1 on getting the book. Although I am not sure what the time would be for the shipping from Florida to the Philippines?? I would also say as time allows read every post you can here. The truth is many of your questions will be answered by doing that. But we all like new post too!!
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Members

Thanks everyone for the support. I will ask the questions as it come to me so as not to forget.

First I am planning to use empty pet bottles as planting box 6 liters or bigger. I have seen some picture where the plant box are arrange in a cascading order where the top drains to the next and so on. Since the plant box are small it would not be advisable to install a siphon system for each, so a continuous flow system will be ideal. I'd like to put it on a horizontal position but I have read on Oliver"s post that the depth of media should be 12 inches. On the other hand I have once a tomato on my window plant box with approx. 5 inches of planting medium only so I think it is possible. Any thoughts in regards.

Next Q. I have read somewhere that coconut husk is an excellent medium and we have plenty locally. Also I have read and tried many times that charcoal do wonders to plants. Have anyone tried any or mixing both. On Oliver"s post the stone media is said to be smooth why is that, can I not use coarse gravel what's the difference?

Since air is of utmost importance how do I dissolve as much air in the water. I am thinking of poking a needle size hole on the suction so that air burbles will be suck in and went through with the water to the pump where together will mix thoroughly. anyone have tried? Do you Think it will work?

I also prefer catfish or mud fish as it can be stock denser and it survive on left overs. Further it is very hardy and can survive on murky water. Any thought?

That's it for now more to come as I go reading.

Thanks

Members

if 5" works for you, then go for it.. 12" provides more surface area for microbial activity/nitrification, so just make sure you stock accordingly
    i've read that coconut husks work, but haven't tried it.. i'd think that it would stay to wet...
    i wouldn't put the venture (hole) in on the suction side, cavitation can ruin the pump impeller.. aeratore are cheap and only run a few watts..get one with a battery backup pack if you can, if not, oversize your pump and divert flow back into your ft with a spray bar to add aeration..
    i don't raise catfish but so can't really comment, but from what i've seen, "turbid" water is different than "dirty" water.. so again, stock according to your filtration..