Hybrid View

Members
    Prairieville Louisiana, outside Baton Rouge

PH keeps dropping.

I have read several threads on PH and have a question that still stumps me. My PH in my system drops from a 7.8 to a 6.0 in about 5 days. I have a 500 gallon system that cirrculated for 1 week without fish and before cycling. It did not change then, so I am confident its not the grow media or water.
    I have about 50 young fish, and about 50 minnows and a few crawfish in there right now. A have a piece of coral from a salt water fishtank that I added after the PH started dropping, and the rest is plastic fake plants. I struggle feeling them pellets due to the catfish only eating at night, and crappie not eating good, so there is leftover food in there, but the crawfish take care of that in time.
    I use calcuim carbonite, and potasium carbonite to raise it when needed.
    I have had the system going for a few months now. I guess my question is could this PH dropping still be from bacteria multiplying, or something else?? NH2 and nitrites are always 0. Nitrates stay around 40PPM. I do add new minnows that I catch from the ditch?? Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo07061610.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	3930  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan