Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Are You Passing on your knowledge to the next generation

UF, yep, we got 4H, my kids are in several of the 4H projects. I intend to go see the extension agent as soon as I get home. I am also going to ask the girl doing the 4H if she is interested in maybe something for the kids involving AP.

I just put $500.00 in a account for my kids last year to do a goat project. They have 3 nannies and so far have sold 2 kids. The project is supposed to last a year and in the end they are supposed to show how they raised, marketed and sold the goats. I really thought it would be a losing proposition, and I would foot the bill! Surprisingly,( to me anyway) they had people putting deposits down before the first 2 kids were even ready to sell. Who would have thought there was a market for pet miniature goats???
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

It's amazing what people will pay if you market a product right! That's great. Well, I can tell you several years ago there was little support for aquaponics from the extension services, but that has changed. Some states have a lot documents made for the public regarding different aquaponic topics. It doesn't hurt to ask!

Members

I do my best to include the kids in everything that I do. Teach them some math while measuring and cutting lumber. They help with all of my backyard projects. They take delight in explaining some of the workings of backyard growings to visitors; e.g., they commonly explain to folks the history behind our three sisters garden, and how the plants work symbiotically. My two older ones (10 and 8) have their own garden section, where they are free to do as they please, learn what works and what doesn't and I am available for advice.

I agree that they don't always seem to be interested, and or prefer to help as opposed to play. Yet, I was very pleasantly surprised recently when my son wrote a paper on his 'hero' and it was on me because of what I have thought him about gardening. He explained the importance of quality, nutritious food, and being able to provide for oneself - a thing of beauty.

Sorry to have gotten us turned off on a road less traveled. Was not seeking to ruffle feathers. Another lesson the parents taught me was leave politics and religion out of everyday conversations. Still trying to get that one right.

My kids are all out now so the only teaching I do is how it works to the kids when they visit and of course the grandbabies ask lots of questions so we chat quite a bit until 30 seconds later they're off exploring other parts of the house. The most interest is by my lady friends oldest son. He is thinking about doing the same thing just smaller. I told him about the sight and offered to help when he got ready. But back in the day, the kids were very hands on with everything we did, both the simple and mundain and the difficult and challenging. It has to do with that responsibility thing I was preaching about earlier.

Well, off to drink some koolaid!
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Do you have 4H projects over there?
    UF, 15mules lives in Arkansas (America) not Australia. I would venture to say you will find more 4H projects in Arkansas than you will in Florida. Talk to kids in Fl. and say 4H, they will think it's something like OMG, WTF, LOL and get confused as hell when you tell them what it really means.

keith_r:- last word...send Obama your paycheck...he already has mine, but I did get to keep "The Change".

Just had to throw that in and I also warn everyone here. Posts to other than the sump are not advised when it comes to politics and keith_r (Ohio Democart) will be glad to lock horns with any and all comers...just keep it civil if you join in.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

I grew up on a farm plus my father was a builder and electrician. By the time I was 12 I was doing any and all field work, including applying fertilizers and herbicides, plus I would go to work with Dad on his construction crews.
    The summer between seventh grade and eighth I was working on the crew building a room addition. We started early because it got hot later in the day. So here I am laying concrete blocks at 6:3O in the morning when the homeowner, not known to be very handy, came out with his golf clubs. He knew me and knew how old I was, after watching me lay a couple of blocks he asked me "how did you learn to do that?" I held up the trowel full of mud and said "By doing it, you wanna try?" He said no I've got a tee time, gotta go.
    I didn't always like working with my Dad at the time but looking back on it now it taught me very valuable lessons about how to get things done, even if I have no experience at that particular task. It gave me that confidence plus a load of knowledge about construction and the trades that have served me well all my life. I think I passed that confidence on to my kids.

Yep, some new skills may seem unimportant at the time, but a person (especially a younger person) just never knows when the day may come, when a certain skill set may mean to be the difference between having a job or not.

I remember an older gentleman telling me once his father insisted on teaching him how to shoe horses. He said his father told him if he could shoe a horse, he might not get rich, but he would always be able to make a few dollars to eat at least.
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Members

I found out that to get the boys interest in a project, I have to involved them from the planning stage. Several times I was surprised at their ability to come up with a good suggestion. That makes them proud and more interested. If i don\t get interest from planning stage then I can expect not to get any. I believe that any undertaking must be exciting for everyone involve.

Members

Nice point rutan - give them ownership. They do come up with great ideas and most importantly, they take pride and have a vested interest instead of feeling like it's a chore.

If they have differing ideas it might be fun to let them build their own system and see if they can out produce the old man. Proven results can then be added to all systems and maximum production becomes the result. Everybody wins.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?