We touched on this a bit in another thread, so i thought I would bring it over hear to keep from interrupting the other thread. The truth is I hear people all the time talk about how little the younger generations know. This, I have a problem with. Why do they know so little?? Who's fault is it they know so little? I involve my children in everything I do. I do not care if I am shoeing a mule or loading some ammunition, or working in the garden, I involve them, Yes, at times they would like to be playing, but I know they will thank me later. I paid to go to AP training, I took my children. When I build my AP system next month, my children will be helping and have task assigned to them, they will be responsible for. I do not say this as a bragging point. I say this because I think we have a responsibility to teach the next generation. Are they always going to be 100% interested to learn? NO, but we teach them anyway, they may not appreciate the knowledge today, but there will come a time when they do.
I will relate a story about this. I know I have a lot of stories
I was in a local flea market a few months back looking for things I can use. I found an old cross cut saw in decent shape and took it to the counter. There was an old man sitting there who said " I used one of them a lot when I was growing up, I bet you never seen one actually used have you, you gonna hang that on your wall". To which I replied " No, I am not going to hang it on my wall, I am going to put new handles on it and sharpen it and use it, and Yes, I have seen one used, and I use mine, I would not be buying this one if I were not going to use it". The old man then said " Well, I doubt my kids would have a clue what to do with one". I did not say anything, but I could not help but think "WHO'S FAULT IS THAT".
Now do not get me wrong, I have a chainsaw, but there are areas of our national park here, where chainsaws are not allowed and we use the cross cut saws to keep trails cleared. For those who have never used one, you may be surprised who fast and easy they will cut, when they are swagged and sharpened correctly, and Yes, my children have spent their fair share of time on the end of one also, not always voluntarily though. They can thank me later.
Keep in mind it does not have to be only your kids or grand kids, show a neighbor or a neighbors kid your AP system. I firmly believe it is our fault the younger generations do not know many of the things we grew up doing.
SO, WHAT KNOWLEDGE ARE YOU PASSING ON TO THE NEXT GENERATION????