Thread: Cray Queries

Members

Cray Queries

OK, so I am new to raising marbled crays... And found some oddities last night...

1 - a dead cray. Now, I just got her in a lot from a seller on AquaBid.com, so there may have been some stress, but the rest of them look and act perfectly fine. Any thought as to what would make one just simple pass on?

2 - I had one in full berry, then suddenly, she molted, no babies, no berries... WTHeck did I miss it? Is that possible?

Any help or thoughts appreciated! Thanks!
    Whether you think you CAN or you CAN'T... You're right.
    Foxwood Run Farm, LLC
    York, PA

Members

Re: Cray Queries

i got my first marm from aquabid as well!
    from my observations..i've seen a berried marms eggs "dissappear", with no indication of recruitment, in the one that i did notice this happen, the eggs seemed to be more "grayish" in color than other berried marms i've inspected.. most of the time, the young copies of the mother will stay with the her for at least a day or two, i suspect that the eggs weren't viable but don't know for sure
    i've only seen them go into berry after molting..(was it shipped to you in berry?)
    i've lost a few, and from what i found i suspect that they died either during the molt or right after (all losses so far have exhibited very soft shells)
    so after more online research i went and bought some marine aquarium iodide.. it's recommended that you use half the dosage recommended for salt water tanks... since i started using the iodide i've only found 2 dead, one i think was from a fight in a breeder tank (first and only time i've seen that!) and was partially canablized, the other was a floater in the pool that i have no idea how it died,,, it had been dead for a while

anyways,, i hope this helps!

oh, one more thing.. i haven't seen this yet, but if you ever notice a marm with what looks like a "tumor", try to segregate it and observe.. when it molts the "tumor" is really another marm!

Members

Thanks!

The 'floater' was one of the ones shipped. The molter ( ) was from a previous purchase, local pickup. She was close to berrying when we got her...

Thanks for the info. Going to pick up some of that iodine at lunch today!
    Foxwood Run Farm, LLC
    York, PA

You've got a great avatar, how 'bout going to your profile and put in where you live...there may be other members close by.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Anonymous! We are legion.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.
    Anonymous! We are legion.
    central PA, USA
    Foxwood Run Farm, LLC
    York, PA