Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
an ap system is far from natural....
Whose fault is that?

[quote=keith_r]
Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
Quote Originally Posted by "keith_r":2giosuii
but they soon find that doesn't work..you need input!
I would argue that no natural system, anywhere on this Earth, requires human input to grow. I would further extend this premise to include properly designed AP systems as not needing human input (aside, perhaps, at initial construction). I have done it, the science backs it up, and it's actually a hell of a lot easier for a backyard gardener. Just food for thought...
an ap system is far from natural....
i'd like to see a zero input system that you can harvest fish and veggies from and is zero maintenance? (labor is input as well, unless you work for free and don't need any calories)

i see ponds that people think are "zero input" ecosytems,, but to balance a pond the pond owner needs to input lots of energy and effort.. i really can't see an ap system working without lots of input in at least man power and some input in feed/nutrients[/quote:2giosuii]
I'm guessing you put "zero input" in quotes because it's some kind of gimmick out there? I have no idea what that is, but I don't see why you can't grow some tilapia in a pond without having a human throw food or fertilizer in there, happens all the time...

To clarify, no nutrient/food input to the system, but yes how could there be no labor? However, very little labor can be required. It depends how much you want to manage and play with the system. There will always be some labor required... who else is going to chew the food for you??