Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Crawfish, Crawfish everywhere !!!!!

Ok, everybody calm down, I am alright!! I do not have crawfish, everywhere, YET??

I do have a question though. I have not considered putting crawfish in my system, because I have read and have been told there is not way to filter the things out and keep them isolated to one tank in the system? I have heard that their offspring are so small they will bypass any filter and it is inevitable they will end up in every tanks and every part of your system. Now, because I am considering a DWR system, I do not want them in my troughs eating all of the plant roots.
    So lets hear it from those of you who have "been there done that". Is this a myth, an internet fairytale, some evil untruth devised to keep those of us in AP away from the tasty little crustations?? Or is it true that they eventually will inhabit every part of your system and eat all of the plant roots, generally causing havoc???

O, I almost forgot I am originally from Louisiana and they are Crawfish, never even heard the term Crayfish, till I moved to Arkansas. Crayfish, that just sounds funny!!!
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Re: Crawfish, Crawfish everywhere !!!!!

Mudbugs 15mules! Suck dem heads and eat them tails. Oooooowheee!
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Makin me hungry just thinkin about it. Newspaper on the table, Crawfish dumped out and piled from end to end, some corn, some celery, some big ole mushrooms and little ole potatoes all boiled up in plenty of crab boil!!! Mouth burnin, Crawfish so hot make your eyes water, but they are so good you just can't stop eatin em. Man, I miss that about summer time in Lousiana.

That is why I would like to grow some, if they ain't gonna take over my system and eat all my plants.

All I have heard says it takes a lot of square feet or they end up eating/killing each other over turf wars.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

I am just not sure why they could not be put in the troughs of a deep water raft system. I really did not think they would eat that many plant roots, especially if you did not filter all of the solids from the FT, seems like they would have plenty to eat around on without eating the plant roots, but maybe I am wrong. I have been told I was????

15mules...

Again...it's odd you would mention crayfish....I have raised Australian Red Claw for food (the one you need to consider) and Florida Electric Blues for the aquarium trade.

Why is it odd, well because I am currently writing my next DIY guide book and it just happens to be on crayfish.

It is pretty close to being finished and it would have been already off the press, so's to speak, but time marches on and escapes me when I need to be at the keyboard instead of herding an 18 wheeler down the road to pay bills.

You are at least a few days away from your system so maybe I will have it done before it becomes a pressing matter for you, but I will tell you that you can raise them in a deep water raft system.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

JCO,
    Thanks for the info. I look forward to your new book, please let me know when it becomes available and I will gladly purchase a copy.

Members

i've been raising marmokreb crayfish for a couple years.. mostly as a supplemental feed for my yellow perch, bluegill and tilapia..
    marm's aren't as territorial as redclaws, but redclaws definitely grow big! i'd like to try them but my winters get too cold, and i don't want to spend that much heating my basement..
    anyways, i keep my breeder crayfish in 55 gallon glass tanks, i filter these with sponge filters.. when i get a hatch, i feed the babies until they get to 1/2" or so then start using as feed..
    i've let at least 40 larger marms go in the pool to grow out, i figure i'll have a meal of them in a year to a year and a half for me and the wife.. i love to eat em, but for me, they're more practical as a supplemental feed for my fish

I like to eat a mess of mudbugs boiled with corn and potatoes and seasoned hotter than New Orleans in August. Am I wrong about how much room they need? JCO write, write, write! It's obvious I need the new book. Go ahead and send me a copy when it's done, and I will gladly cover whatever the cost is. The info in your DIY book is where I look first when I have an issue. I've said it before and will say it again, this forum and its many members have been more helpful to me than anywhere else I have gone! Thanks to you all and a special thanks to JCO for keeping it going. If in need I will do what I can.

I can see where in a smaller system you may not be able to grow enough for human cosumption, but I am planning for an eventual 3000 plus ft. DWR grow bed area, I think this would give me enough area to raise a substantial amount, if they do not eat my plant roots, as I have been told they will??