you can perk yours right behind mine
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Re: Crawfish, Crawfish everywhere !!!!!

It is a perk! Damn spell corrector. Park
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

15mules I bet you could rent a stall over at the riding stable in the park but then it is a 2 mile walk. Better be your fastest mule to get here from your neck of the woods by dinner time.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Ok, Roger, in that case, you better give me a few weeks notice. I have a pretty fast mule!! But I don't walk to fast and two miles is a long way.
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Members

they're really more detrivores than anything... if you keep them fed with a decent food, supplement w/ iodide (for shell molting/shell formation) they'll leave the plants alone..
    i've been thinking about some kind of "flow through" structure for them.. something liked stacked pallets with a bunch of pvc cutoffs between the layers
    if i clear up some floor space in my basment, i'm going to try redclaws.. i'll use a water bed heating pad(s) to keep the temps of their water up, with the pool on couple of inches of isulation.. bubbble wrap the pool, and some floating plant rafts for the surface

Members

The Queensland Blue Lobster, or Redclaw (as Aussie farmers call it), Cherax quadricarinatus, is definitely the crayfish species to raise in any type of small or large commercial aquaponics systems, with proper system design, they will cause you none of the problems common to Procambarus clarkii and other 'rowdy' herbivorous crustaceans. You can find the best expert advice and select stocking juveniles in the world by going to EdenSustainableTechnologies dot com or contacting me, directly, for any help you might need with any Cherax species problems and solutions. We only work with serious commercial producers, so for small quantities of Redclaw juveniles, go to Christine Smithers, at Stick Fins Farm (farmingcrawfish dot com). Farming Redclaw for fun, food or profit is all about proper system design for successful culture resulting in the size and type of the many Redclaw products that you may seek to produce. This animal is extremely adaptable, cheap to feed, exceptionally docile and hardy for a crustacean, and very benign toward all other life forms, but adapting our systems to what makes it most comfortable also makes it its most productive. Never work against Mother Nature, when, she is always so willing and able to go right to work FOR you!

Members

Oh. I forgot, but I meant to reply to the comment by keith_r.
    You are correct that they are detrivores, which means they eat tiny little morsels of deteriorating plant and animal proteins, teeming with bacteria and zooplankton, laying on or bouncing along the bottom. They are benthic feeders and benthic dwellers. Do not use PVC drops for Redclaw habitat or stack any habitat up for them to dwell in, as they do not make anywhere near efficient use of them, waste their energy pushing them around and they are not naturally high-rise apartment dwellers. Properly designed Cherax habitat is available on the net, and truly is more than worth the extra expense. Over the decades of its useful life it will pay back thousands of times its cost in increased survival rates and production.
    Next "iodide" is a negative ionic oxide of iodine of the first order, as such they are fairly unstable and easily enter into other chemical reactions. Due to this Iodide compounds are normally used to add into feeds and foodstuffs for terrestrial animals to guard against iodine deficiency, which is destructive of the ability of the thyroid to control metabolism, often resulting in mental retardation.
    Normally, sufficient iodine is naturally present in most seafoods in generally greater percentages than in terrestrial animals, because these oxides are water soluble, washing out of our soils and into our waters. It is highly unlikely that you will ever see a Redclaw deficient in iodine, tho' it is possible.
    What you will see is Redclaw, or any other crustacean, which are deficient in Calcium, which is what they use to quickly harden their carapace, or exoskeleton, immediately after moulting.
    I am always happy to help anyone who wants to do successful aquaculture, if you contact me.

Members

Crawfish is very good as food only need to take care while eating it first try to eat from tail end and ten come to head part also head section is very tine so easily one can eat and juices are delicious so you can try also suck total body of crawfish so that total meat come out of that there is one company who is supplying good Louisiana Crawfish Company so check it out there too!!

crawfish is very good food. like us here in the philippines.....