Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members
    Prairieville Louisiana, outside Baton Rouge

Party in my fish tank.

Just wondering if anyone else ended up with the same setup as me. I initially was going to just have Catfish and Crappie in my 8 ft tank. And breed crawfish and minnows in a separate tanks for fish food.
    Well, the crawfish eat their babies and fight all the time in a smaller tank. And the larger minnows die instead of breeding in a small tank. So, they all kinnda ended up in my big fish tank, along with a few Perch I caught in my trap. I lost a few catfish due to fighting the crawfish for hiding spots, but all in all seem to be coexisting fine. I am hoping this way if any minnows, or crawfish have babies, my crappie will get to eat them first! Thats the plan anyway, but it seems to change by the hour these days.
    Anyone else has this many different species in one tank??
    “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan

Members

Re: Party in my fish tank.

i've got nile tilapia, blue tilapia, yellow perch, bluegill and crayfish in my 8' tank.. i use marmokreb self cloning crayfish, and breed them in 55 gallon tanks.. i've put about 40 larger crayfish into the pool to reproduce there, and hundreds of smaller ones that were eaten..
    i have minnows in other tanks, whenever i put any in the pool, they don't last long..i put 100 minnows in last week and they were gone overnight..
    i'm going to try guppies to see if i can get them to reproduce better than the fathead minnows, i had 3 hatches of rosy reds, but they grow real slow..i've read that crappie are.... difficult to feed train..

Members
    Prairieville Louisiana, outside Baton Rouge

Sweet, so I am not the only one. The minnows I have are too big for my fingerlings to eat, but it wont be long. I have some Rosys in another tank, and I just bought a male and female swordtail guppie in my daughters tank hoping they make lots of babies. I live in the south so crawfish in every ditch, if not for that I would try the marble, I hear they are asexual and reproduce alot.
    “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan

That sure is some diversity you have in you fish tank. Being you live in La. and they are legal there, have you considered trying a few little alligators?? They are cold blooded, just like fish and they do create waste (also known as fertilizer in the AP world) Just a thought??
    Truthfully, I actually have word from someone I trust, that there is someone experimenting with this with in one of the southern states. They have coined the phrase "GatorPonics" to describe it.
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Sounds like a good way to lose a finger!
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Roger,
    That is why you reassure your wife it is perfectly safe !!, Just before you hand her the feed bucket !!!!
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Humor, in whatever form...you gotta' love the relief of tension a good laugh gives you
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Interesting polyculture ideas. Anyone have some recommendations for a scavenger to help keep the bottom of my blue tilapia tank clean. I have an SLO that pulls most of the solids, but still have to periodically vacuum the bottom edges. It'd be nice to have some critters that can coexist happily with the tilapia, if they either supplement the tilapia food, or provide food for the family (prawns or the like) that would be a nice plus.

I'm to smart to have a wife 15mules. Seriously though, what and how would you handle the gator when he got big enough to start eating the fish? That is how gators end up in sewer systems.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Roger!!!!! you raise the gators for the nitrates instead of fish
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"