Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Members

Re: a bunch of newbie questions

I've bought most of the stuff I need for my system. Will start a new thread with pictures after I've cleaned the floor in my workshop/livingroom enough to take descent pictures of it.

I'm wondering: In such a small system like this wouldn't a loop siphon be better?

In this picture of the kit I'm building the bell siphon takes up quite a large size of the growbed.

Seems I could fit in one plant more with a loop siphon... Just be sure it doesn't clogg up.

There a so many threads about "bell vs. loop" and when you try read about "small systems" you'll just come across some American whose "small 5000 gallon aquaponicsystem" uses bell siphons...

I will be the first to admit I know little about media bed systems, but to be honest I never really understood the whole siphon idea? Don't get me wrong, it takes an ingenious mind to design some of the various siphons I have seen. However, you already have a water pump to move the water up there, why not add a simple timer and make drain holes in the bottom of your media bed the correct size, so that in the time your pump runs, it floods the bed to the level you want, because the pump, pumps water faster than it can drain out. Then you have your whole bed open to do whatever you want?? and do away with a siphon altogether?? Just my thoughts on it anyway??
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Members

yes, a loop siphon would be better.. saves real estate on a small system, you only need half of an ag pipe for the guard..
    my pumps run continuously, flood and drain..
    power cycling of equipment does tend to shorten the life of it, but i've seen timer based pumps run for a long time so who knows..i'll keep my small pumps running 24x7
    i know my pump is really low wattage and doesn't take much battery backup to keep running if there's a power outage..
    my airpump is huge and is only 40watts..(pondmaster ap 40)
    any way you drain the system, you need to have some kind of guard in the bed, you will get roots into the plumbing..

Then slowly the holes get plugged (under the media) and they will and KaBOOM !...the whole thing blows up ..... basically.

I used a simple siphon (not simon) when I had media grow beds. 3 pieces of 2" PVC and 2 90 degree elbows. One piece was the stand pipe which fixes the water height, one short piece to connect the elbows together and the last piece elbowed down toward the bottom and just off the bottom to insure a good drain. Takes some experimenting to get it just right, but when you do....it can't be beat....breaks and drains perfect every time.. OH and as Keith_r said... the pump runs continous.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"