High School AP, does your state have them ???

I have not had a chance to call someone at our state university yet, but I read a newspaper article, which said the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville (which is our agricultural university) was giving out 200 AP units to high schools in the state for next year. I am going to try to get more info. as to who designed the systems etc. I just found it interesting, as I did not really think it was on their radar yet. Anyway, just wondering if this is an isolated incident or if other states have them in the high schools as well???
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Members

Re: High School AP, does your state have them ???

i'm not aware of any in ohio, but there is an aquaponic school in youngstown..
    Cecil (a taxidermist i know - not sure if he's on this message board) had a couple systems set up in highschools in Indiana

AP is definitely on the radar

Our public education system is so messed up in this country, I am just surprised they were doing it at all. 2 years ago, locally we tried to get a new Ag. facility built at the school, but the school board said it did not have the funding. The same year they spent $300,000.00 to redo the football stadium. Many of the students will finish school and go to work in the agricultural industry in our area, it is doubtful any of our students will ever become a pro football player. Our school systems in my opinion went in the wrong direction when they replaced trade schools with college prep courses. I will certainly be glad if our school gets one of the systems, if they do not I am thinking of contacting the school to see if I donated a system, if they would use it?

Here in Cape Coral, Florida, Island Coast High School has an extensive aquaponics program headed up by Joe Mallon. I was fortunate enough to be given a tour of their operation by Joe last summer. I even wound up hiring his daughter to tend my own aquaponics system when I went out of town for 6 weeks. Here's a web site with interesting video.

http://www.marcoislandflorida.com/vi...-feed-the-poor

Nice link bsfman...
    Missed ya...Haven't seen you post in awhile....Was the band on the road ?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

bsf,
    That is very interesting. I met a guy in Tennessee who is working with some others in the academic field to develop a high school curriculum on AP. Not just on the biology aspects, but also planning to get math and science curriculum tied in. I am very interested to see it when they get done, not sure how long it will take them.

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Nice link bsfman...
    Missed ya...Haven't seen you post in awhile....Was the band on the road ?
    The band broke up after 10 years together after last summer's tour, David. I'm semi-retired now and only gigging one day a week with one of my former band mates. He's on a 7 week solo tour right now and I'm home relishing the first summer in 8 years that I'm not on a lengthy tour! I'm enjoying retirement and indulging in my multiple hobbies!

Quote Originally Posted by 15mules
    bsf,
    That is very interesting. I met a guy in Tennessee who is working with some others in the academic field to develop a high school curriculum on AP. Not just on the biology aspects, but also planning to get math and science curriculum tied in. I am very interested to see it when they get done, not sure how long it will take them.
    That's what they are doing at Island Coast too, 15mules. They use the aquaponics not only as a science class, but link it to math, business and English skills too. The kids actually run it as a business. Pretty cool concept! They can actually see how the academic skills tie in to real world applications.

Hey BSF glad to see you back but am real sorry to hear about the band. I had my own band in High School but sadly enough when I joined the Navy right out of High School, that ended my music career.

That was 1962 and I was 18, now I'll be 70 this coming Saturday but I still miss the excitement of being in front of an audience and watching the girls dance to my music.

Don't be a stranger
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"