Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How to feed duckweed

I have collected some duckweed and have a second container to grow it in. My question is how to give it to the fish? Do I dry it and feed it as flake? Or, do I just pull some out of the container and place it in the tank? If fed fresh, why not grow it in the FT and just cull out any excess?
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Re: How to feed duckweed

When I used to grow alot...I'd spread it thin, on some old window screens, set up in the shade. The fish weren't that crazy about it dried...they perfered fresh.
    I stopped drying it, but since I'm in FL...I usually have live plants to feed them most of the year.

If you try growing it in the same tank with the fish...they most likely will eat it as fast or faster then it can reproduce. At least my tilapia (pigs) did. My gold fish would eat it too.

I raised it in a seperate container ( a kiddie pool). I noticed dead leaves built up pretty fast in the bottom. If I recall, the plant has a short life span, so the dead stuff tends to build fast.

I'd just toss a bunch into the fish tank and they'd clean it up.
    If your fish don't seem to eat it at first....stop feeding them for a few days. They'll figure it out. The adult tilapia seemed to like it more then the younger ones.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Thanks David. We'll see how they like it once it starts multiplying for me.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

I have a separate thank with duckweed and have feed it fresh to the tilapia in small amounts. Gone instantly. Once it multiplies enough, I'll supplement my feed with it regularly.

Roger_L where did you get your duckweed from?
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Small lake in the city park at the end of my street. It does not seem to be growing as we'll as I had hoped. Not sure why?

Members

duckweed prefers still water, i grew it in full sun or partial, it takes over my 55 gallon tanks using just flourescent lights(that i use for crayfish) - i scoop out duckweed by the net full, and put it in the pool with the tilapia..

Are you sure it's duckweed?

I just throw mine to the fish fresh. They gobble it up quickly unless they just ate.

I grow mine in a large kiddie pool in full sun. I scoop out about 1/3 with a net every 3 days or so. At that feeding rate, it replenishes itself as fast as I feed it. (I fertilize it with humonia several times a week.) I'm guessing I feed 6 to 10 pounds of duckweed to my tilapia weekly. An added benefit is that the tree frogs love to lay eggs in the kiddie pool and the tilapia will DEMOLISH a netfull of pollywogs!

I've lost a large percentage of the duckweed crop this week due to heavy rains and my failing to drain the surplus water from the kiddie pool. Overflow washed away most of the crop, but it'll rapidly replenish.

Urban farmer, I'm pretty sure it is duckweed as compared to all the pictures and descriptions I can find. I have moved my grow container where it will receive direct morning sunlight and will get another fresh batch of the duckweed to see if I can get it to grow.