Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: Heat/cool, water?? Air?? or both??

your growbeds will be the biggest transferor's of heat into and out of your system..they act like a damn good heat sink.. so heating the water, every pass through the growbeds cools it, or visa versa..
    that and the surface of your ft unless you cover it with insulation..

Kieth,
    I agree, media grow beds transfer a lot of heat/cool to the surrounding air, especially in flood and drain systems where the water draining pulls in the surrounding air down into the media. I am planning a DWR system, the troughs will be insulated on bottom an sides and a 2" raft on top will actually provide insulation for all 4 sides of the grow area.
    Sorry, I may have used the wrong terminology and miss led someone into thinking I was planning a media bed system.
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Sorry, I may have used the wrong terminology and miss led someone into thinking I was planning a media bed system.
    DWR system = Raft system
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

I have a background in greenhouse construction, and have built the so-called "Chinese" model in Texas back in 1980 and more recently.
    Your thought path and mine are parallel. Cooling is primary for me. The mass in the water has to been very beneficial. I am designing my raft beds, sump and fish tank out of concrete to introduce more mass. I will use "Thoroseal" to waterproof the concrete or CMU so that I can avoid using plastic liners. (Just can't wrap my mind around plastic) Since complex systems tend to fail, I am leaning away from Phase Change Materials and heat/cool tubes but the jury is still out. First greenhouse to be 48' x 32' x 20' tall.
    There is a solid roof on the North that you can walk on to make putting on the plastic and 60% shade cloth safe and easy. I'll have 1 media bed 48' x 3' ; one raft 42' x 6' and a sump dug into the ground. Fish tank to have view window. About 1000 gallons (+ or-).

I personally have a huge problem with Chinese style greenhouses, but I will leave that for another thread when I have the time to dispel it and verbally tear it down.

Then I will introduce and build my American Aquaponic style greenhouse (designed especially for Aquaponics - commercial or backyard), on paper naturally.

No bucks for a greenhouse at this time, but I have built them before and I do have the knowledge and experience necessary to prove my thinking.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

It would be interesting to hear your issues with the "Chinese" style greenhouse. I personally have operated one with very little energy input.