Ok, I had been looking for some fish for my AP system in Northern Arkansas. I decided on Tilapia and I found some Mozambique's at a reasonable price, reasonably closest to home. All set right?? Wrong. Then I decided to keep researching and now I am not so sure? Everywhere I read it seems to show that they are less cold tolerant than other Tilapia breeds and that they are smaller, thus providing a less desirable fish for consumption. Everything seems to point to the Blues or the Niles as "THE" fish for AP. My question is how much difference is there in reality? Yes, fish can be changed out, I understand that, but I do not want to invest in them if they really are inferior to the Nile or Blue. Or is this just a case of preference, like Ford or Chevy???
I am really hoping to hear from someone with experience with both. Do you really see a growth rate difference or a size difference, under the same conditions with the different species? Is one really going to die at 60 while the other lives to 58, or is there cold tolerance different enough to really matter??
Thanks,