Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Im building a 144 sq ft grow bed system.

Just curious, are you going with a Hoop house or a conventional greenhouse, or Chinese style?? What is the orientation of your grow beds? e/w or n/s?
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Members

here is the pic of the greenhouse. I didnt spend alot of money on it because i didnt know if the whole aquaponics was going to work out. I paid 450 for this size 13 x 33 from deltacanopy.com. They are located in Dallas. It has i think eight windows on each side and one above each doorway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That seems like a very good price, I will be interested to see how it works out for you. I will also be interested in seeing the pictures of how well it fits around everything, keep us updated.

Members

Just put some more plants into the system. Tomatoes,cucumbers, peppers, zucinni,

You keep this up and you are going to convince me to add some media beds to my plans for my system.

Members

Wow yesterday was pretty exciting. We put almost 79 fish into the system. The drain pipe at the bottom of the fish tank was completely open. we put a piece of screen on the end so the fish would get suck up. one of the fish died and got suck up against the drain pipe. well the water couldnt drain. so luckly all the grow beds would almost full and the sump tank pumped the rest of the water over the side of the fish tank. So i pulled the drain pipe out of the fish tank and drilled a bunch of holes up and down the side of it. It is doing fine now but i had to put about 60 gallons of water back into the system. I got a pretty good ab workout with those 5 gallon buckets. lol I took a pic of the collard greens and green beans. if anybody know a better way to do the bottom of the drain in the fish tank let me know. thanks

I am not 100% sure of how your bottom drain pipe is situated in your tank, but probably the best idea I have seen was where a person came into the bottom of the tank, then added a 90 degree elbow and ran a pipe horizontally about an inch or so of the bottom of the tank, that went as far as he could without hitting the side of the tank. He then had placed a cap on the end of the pipe. But how did the water get into the pipe you ask?? He had drilled holes along the bottom side of the horizontal pipe, facing down towards the bottom of the tank and his fish were to large to go under the pipe, so it was impossible for them to get sucked up, but the water drained well. Also with multiple holes, even if some got clogged by something there were plenty others to keep draining. You could always do this and even place a mesh box over the horizontal pipe if you have really little fish, to keep them away.

Unless you are keeping it on the bottom for a particular reason, you can elbow it back up to the surface to the level you want to keep the tank and the water will overflow from the top.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

i was keeping it on bottom to keep the water turned over good. if i skim the top it would just get the top water. huh

Members

You may want to turn down and cover your spouts going into the grow beds to avoid algae from growing. Your setup is looking great!!