Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: Im building a 144 sq ft grow bed system.

I have just put it on youtube. it is under 144 sq ft aquaponic system. thanks
    http://youtu.be/dq0aHD6A_NQ

Very nice, I commend you on your project. Thanks for taking the time to document and share everything. This kind of sharing is what will help AP really spread.
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Members

We just got finished putting the pond water into our system. We finished up on the fish tank cover yesterday. we plan to get fish today or tomarrow. We got the fish tanks circulating with the sump tank. We are very excited to see how well everything grow in it. I have a 13 x 33 greenhouse than we are about to add on top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    I have a problem with the piers. You should not place those kind of bricks on end for they have no strength that way. They should only be placed with the holes running vertical. They are subject to collapsing the way you have them. The brick wall where the wood contacts them is very weak and has no shear strength. Once you add all the gravel and water they will most likely fail.

Oliver
    Very true. I have seen this type of block with forces applied in this way. You might consider reinforcing the holes with a low shrink structural grout, since you are already committed. When they fail, they fail fast!

Btw, nice progress on the system.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

I just watched the video and looked at the latest pictures posted.

The design seems well laid out.
    I'm very glad to see you rotated your blocks a 1/4 of a turn. At least they are supporting the load better.

Like the other guys...I'm not trying to critize, just concerned.
    I'm guessing you have at least a 1,000 pds per grow bed, just in the gravel alone. That's a alot of weight to support.
    The side that has the sump and fish tank...you have 12 piers VS. 16 on the other side.
    The spot that really catches my eye is...the overhang above the fish tank. The 2 blocks closest to the fish tank, are supporting over a 1,00 pounds by 'themselves'. I pray it never happens....but that looks like a potential failure point to me.

You might still consider laying the blocks down, and having 2 blocks per pier, at least on the fish tank,sump grow beds.
    Yes, It would be some more work, for sure. You've done such a nice job so far...whats a little more ?
    A bottle jack, a few more blocks, a little muttering under the breath ... would result in a much safer set up....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I for one will be looking forward to seeing the pics. of the greenhouse as it is being build or once it is done. I have to admit, as the others, I would be a bit concerned about the blocks on end??
    Thanks again for all the pics. I wish I could see some of the you tube stuff, but just do not have the bandwidth here at work.
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Members

Thanks alot. We have put alot of work into it. It didnt take me long to rotate those blocks. I agree with you on the fish tank and sump tank. I will change those out. Thanks for all your advice. If it wasnt for this forum i wouldnt have the system i have now. Everybody else wants you to buy a book or video to get there help. I called oliver up one day and ask him a few questions about it and he pointed me to this forum. the best thing i have ever seen. Cant wait to get my plants in. thanks again. everybody.....

We don't sell anything...
    But, we do expect to be invited for a BBQ and a tour of your system...and seeing as how your a texan...were expecting one heck of a BBQ... :P

(well... JCO now has a nice starter info book for beginners, that he sells...but that helps support the site... )
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

We just put a few plants into the system. I just added the liquid seeweed into the system to help out. i hope it all works out. thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members
    Prairieville Louisiana, outside Baton Rouge

Texas allows one breed of Tilaipa, I would go with that instead of bluegill. They can be quite tricky to pellet train if you get them from a hatchery that feeds them live food. I am still working on it!! I wish Louisiana would allow them, make my life easy!
    “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan