Members

How many tilapia?

Ok so I have been cycling for a lil over a month now. Gonna add my fish now. Had 2 tiny tilapia fry and 2 algea eaters (algea started growing figured what the hell)
    But anyways I have a 250-275 gall fish tank, witha bout a 100-125 gal grow bed. How many tilapia fingerling 1"-2" should i start out with? I was thinking 50?

Members

Re: How many tilapia?

thats way overstocked.... unless you plan on major expansion immediately (each growbed will take time to cycle up, and won't be converting ammonia until it cycles)..with a new system of that size, the most i would go would be 20
    fingerling fish consume anywhere from 7-15% of their body weight daily, adult fish about 2-4%,
    smaller fish are usually more active as well (the act of "breathing" the water, gills breath out ammonia)
    when you first get your fish, monitor your system closely, and feed lightly
    and if you don't already have an aerator, get one

Members

I have an aerator. I am actually getting a bigger one this weekend. And ok thanks. Ill stick to around 20. Might push it to 25 but thats just bc the guy has 5 breeds. thatd be an even amount of each and im kinda ocd like that lol.

Might wait another week to add the fish. What would you reccomend all my levels be close to before adding my fish?

Members

ammonia and nitrites should be at or real close to 0...
    good luck, and take lots of pics!

Members

ok cool. what should the ammonia and nitrites be once you have fish in? like where do you wana keep it versus where should you worry etc?