Members

Will this work??

Will this work? my 1000 gal. pond and 5x6 1ft deep bog pond would it work this way.I have taken the plants and gunk out of the bog and would like to put a series of trays with holes in them to hold pots that would have clay or pebble balls in them as growing media.The bog waterfalls into the fish pond and the water is fed through a pump into a series of barrels that have bio media and filter pads to remove solids and then is fed back to the bogs.I would like to leave the area under the trays empty so I could eventially do prawns with the tilapia and plants. Anyone with suggestions will be welcomed.Thanks Lisa

Re: Will this work??

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa urban farmer
    Will this work? my 1000 gal. pond and 5x6 1ft deep bog pond would it work this way.I have taken the plants and gunk out of the bog and would like to put a series of trays with holes in them to hold pots that would have clay or pebble balls in them as growing media.The bog waterfalls into the fish pond and the water is fed through a pump into a series of barrels that have bio media and filter pads to remove solids and then is fed back to the bogs.I would like to leave the area under the trays empty so I could eventially do prawns with the tilapia and plants. Anyone with suggestions will be welcomed.Thanks Lisa
    Pics, we need pics but even without pics, it sounds like a good idea
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

What I know aboot prawns is that they require a permit and where I live [a flood zone]a 6 foot berm around my property line. Try Miami aquaculture they pretty much talked me out of growing them. there is also a dude in north fl who sells red claw. Not sure if you need a permit. Hope this was some help. Good luck on your project.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Any non-indigenous species in FL will require some sort of permit. Malaysian Prawns should be easy as they are currently farmed. I have personal experience with Miami Aquaculture and they will treat you right. Dan Spots will provide lots of support. I've raise a bunch of these bad boys. They need lots of space. Males are not tolerent of each other.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow