Thread: Help?

Members

Help?

My system seems to be running well. I have installed a swirl filter and that keeps the water CLEAR. But I have a problem! My tomato plants are turning into a jungle and so far just my cilantro is turning yellow and brown. I have had to throw away 2 plants already.
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!

Members

Re: Help?

What am I missing?
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!

Members

Have you strung up or staked the tomatoes? If you have overgrowth of the tomatoes, you can prune the lower branches off (anything under the latest flower/fruit cluster cab go). This will thin out a lot of the foliage and allow air and light to the rest of your GB. I am assuming that you have indeterminate types. This is what I typically grow and I string them up and prune them to one main stem, which keeps the plant productive, healthy, and neat. I used to not prune when I first started with tomatoes and they became a mess of vines and were more susceptible to fungal disease.

On the tomatoes....ditto what eddiemigue said.
    Prune them...break off almost all of the suckers. With the heat and humidity in TX, they need air movement. Otherwise you'll have lots of disease.
    http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-videotomat ... omatoSeeds

Cilantro....(can you post pictures ?)
    -It may be getting too warm (in TX) for it...?
    -It may need some iron. (your PH should be around 6.8-7)
    -Check your local hydro shops for 'maxi-crop with iron'.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

I have tried the sucker thing and trimmed them a foot above the media. And still only a few flowers and ALOT of jungle. Lol

Members

I have also had to pull 2 of my cilantro plant cause they were dead.

Albatross, what is your PH ? If the PH is ok.....you 'may be' low in iron. I don't think that alone, would take out your cilantro (?)

I'm looking at the (melon ?) vine right behind your cilantro in the 3rd picture. You can see it looks pale and the veins are really noticeable....especially the newer leaves.

The basil looks good. Keep an eye on it's 'new' leaves....you may notice them getting more pale with the veins showing.

As far as the tomatoes....don't stand too close to them for any amount of time....they might not let go of you..... :P
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Albatross, what happened with your systems. Also, all you photos are now missing on your post. You disappeared without a word. Let us know if all is well.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"