Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: Aquarium filler fish

Sweet, thank you very much foodchain. One more quick question if I may. How many catfish do you think would maintain a healthy tilapia growth/balance when they start breeding in my system? I know that is probably a variable answer, but about how many baby tilapia would one catfish eat per day do you think? Just curious as I have never raised a catfish.
    ~Mak

"There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet and the population keeps growing "

I don't think you are understanding how this works.
    This is a variable answer depending on size of catfish, size of tilapia, season (breeding season for the catfish vs winter), water temp not so much now as you have said mid 70's, but this will change with the season. It depends on how you feed, what you feed, frequency of feeding...sinking, floating, etc. By mixing species you intend to feed on each other, you are creating a food chain. You need to research them independently first. Gain experience with both, then mix and adjust to your specific style and location. How YOU do it, is not the same as a guy down the road, next state over, or across the country.
    And that's BEFORE we start talking about maximizing production....egg stripping, egg tumblers, etc.

At your current experience level, buy 2-3 and learn with them. 600 gallons is NOT gonna support a lot, or very big. And that's IF you just had cats in them. Add the Tilapia, and you need a hell of a lot more water. You pack in the density, and disease will break out and wipe both out quickly.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Quote Originally Posted by dsrtlzrd32
    How many catfish do you think would maintain a healthy tilapia growth/balance when they start breeding in my system? I know that is probably a variable answer, but about how many baby tilapia would one catfish eat per day do you think? Just curious as I have never raised a catfish.
    My first system pumped from a sump to the fish tank which gravity fed into growbeds and back to the sump. I had a lot of baby tilapia result. My new system pumps from the fish tank, through mechanical filtration and settling, then gravity feeds into the growbeds and back to the fish tank. I've had NO tilapia babies survive in the new set up. I can only surmise the fry are getting sucked through the pump and shredded. (I took the sponge inlet filters off the pump since they clogged so rapidly).

My point is, that if you employ something similar, you probably don't need to stock predators for the fry.

Members

At your current experience level, buy 2-3 and learn with them. 600 gallons is NOT gonna support a lot, or very big. And that's IF you just had cats in them. Add the Tilapia, and you need a hell of a lot more water. You pack in the density, and disease will break out and wipe both out quickly.
    I was planning on stocking the tilapia first, about 50. Then as they grew and started breeding I would add a couple catfish and see what happens to the population. Is the stocking of 60 fish in a 600 gallon tank to ambitious to start? I was thinking that would be on the light side (which is what I want so like you said problems wont be magnified).

Thanks bsfman, I have a similar setup as you with the pump in the fish tank. I notice it already sucks up few small minnows I put in my system so maybe I wont need a predator after all. I guess I just need to wait and learn my system as I go.

I really appreciate the advice, gives me things to think about before I get there.
    ~Mak

"There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet and the population keeps growing "

OK, I've been waiting on an update. What did you finally do and how many fish do you have in the 600 gal system now?
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"