Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Aquarium filler fish

My system is now completely cycled through the fishless cycling but the place I am going to buy my tilapia from will not have any available for another month. I want to get some fish from the local pet store to put in the system for the time being so I can stop dosing ammonia so frequently and be able to watch some fish!

Not being very knowledgeable in the fish world I wanted to see if any of you had some ideas of what I might try. I put in a plecostomus and a goldfish to start. I would like to have fish that I can keep with the tilapia when they arrive but that wont hurt them or be hurt by them. Thanks for the suggestions.
    ~Mak

"There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet and the population keeps growing "

Re: Aquarium filler fish

Feeder goldfish, commets, catfish, etc. Be mindfull of size. Catfish will eat whatever they can.
    Also, you didn't say how big your tank is.....so we need to know that to accurately answer your question. Is this heated like for tropical fish? Or ambient temp?
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Members

Thanks foodchain. It is ambient heat right now but I live in hot temps so the water is currently 75 average. My system is 600 gallons. I plan to stock with 50 tilapia and then introduce a couple of catfish later for population control on the tilapia. So I figure I have room for a couple more fish that shouldnt hurt the system much. I was thinking maybe getting a fancy goldfish just for fun but I wonder if the tilapia or other fish would attack it. Any feeder goldfish I use now will probably get fed to my chickens when I get my tilapia.
    ~Mak

"There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet and the population keeps growing "

Fancy goldfish are a bad choice unless you want to see them end up in pieces. What size will you be getting the tilapia at?
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Members

Good to know Basil, check them off my list The tilapia will be about 1 inch fingerlings when I get them so I did not want to add the catfish yet. Any other ideas?
    ~Mak

Members

Commets are nice (and they can grow pretty big if the tank allows) as foodchain recommends. I'd just avoid the big chain stores because of potentially diseased fish (personal experience and what I have read is common).

Members

Unfortunately I can only buy from petsmart or walmart here. Last I was at petsmart their commet goldfish tank had several dead ones floating around and I did not think they looked healthy. If I did get some of them and they end up dying of a disease, will the disease leave my tank with them or would I have to do a full water change to disinfect my tank? (speaking mostly of ich).
    ~Mak

I have kept fantails and Orandas with my Tilapia. They will fray the fins much. And being slower they won't get as much food. That's about all you risk. Once the catfish are big enough, they will eat the goldfish, tilapia, anything else that will fit in their mouth.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

I have been a manager at the big chain pet store. The dead and dying feeder fish are not usually due to disease, but rahter amonia burn on the gills. The shipping guys deliver them that way. With that being said. BE EXTRA careful about which ones you choose.

On the disease issues.....the fish is just the carrier. Once you introduce it to your system, the disease, parasite, etc is there....so long as there's a viable host, the life cycle of the disease or parasite will continue. Be smart. Quarantine all fish in seperate tank prior to introducing to system.