Members

Fiberglass grow-bed and fishtank, health concern?

I'm about to build my first aquaponic-system to have in my apartment. Considering building it out of barrel's or those qubicmeter chemical tanks if I can find any...

But my friend works in a factory that make sailboats out of fiberglass, he said it wouldn't be a problem if I built my tank and growbed in, for example, plywood and brought it to him so he could spray them with fiberglass.
    Would be perfect so I could custom fit the size for my two living room windows.

But is there any health risk involved using fiberglass to grow food in? There's two kind of fiberglass, one is made with polyetylene and the other with something else, forgot witch one my friend is using...

P.s Please excuse the bad english.

/Magnus from Sweden

Re: Fiberglass grow-bed and fishtank, health concern?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikenik
    I'm about to build my first aquaponic-system to have in my apartment. Considering building it out of barrel's or those qubicmeter chemical tanks if I can find any...

But my friend works in a factory that make sailboats out of fiberglass, he said it wouldn't be a problem if I built my tank and growbed in, for example, plywood and brought it to him so he could spray them with fiberglass.
    Would be perfect so I could custom fit the size for my two living room windows.

But is there any health risk involved using fiberglass to grow food in? There's two kind of fiberglass, one is made with polyetylene and the other with something else, forgot witch one my friend is using...

P.s Please excuse the bad english.

/Magnus from Sweden
    They make well pressure tanks and aerator tanks out of fiberglass for people who are on well systems for drinking water. If it's safe for potable water, I wouldn't worry about it being safe for growing food.

I would consult the manufacturer and your local government or non-profit authority they can advise you. Moreover, do some research on the Internet for yourself to double check their claims and conclusions. It sounds like you are making a long-term investment into this system; so, it would be wise to put the time and effort into making sure it's safe for the food you put in your mouth!

The plastic "type" is not as important as what additives, plasticizers, etc. have been added to the final product.

Don't know if they have these stock tanks in Sweden, but maybe they have similar somewhere there. I'm looking at getting one for expanding my system, they are FDA approved food safe.

http://www.behlencountry.com/index.a...gProduct&i=560

That looks pretty good! I hope it's not too expensive.

You need to put a final coat of food grade or potable water grade resin on the inside. Industrial resin will off gas into the water. Check with your a local paint dealer to see if they have any or know who does. I believe Sherwin Williams sells if over the internet as they carry it in thier shops or can order it but not sure if they ship to Sweden. First call around to local paint dealers and see if they have anything if not do a search on the net for "food grade" or "potable water grade" resin

Members

I've made a fiberglass water storage on a sailboat and have sailing friends who been drinking out of fiberglassed stored water for years. The folks at friendly aquaponics have a free down load that spells out all the joys and difficulties of making a fiberglass tank including what resins to use and not use.

Here the link http://www.friendlyaquaponics.com/fr...ree-downloads/

Also if you do a search on DIY fiberglass tanks you will find a bunch of aquarium enthusiast who have made some pretty large tanks like this one here http://www.brentsmith-photography.co...berglass-build

Of course for our purposes we most likely wont have a glass viewing window