Members

A beginner in need of a sump

I am new to the word of Aquaponics and would like to construct a hybrid sump that features both media (of any sort) and plant filtration. I have never built anything filter related before so I am looking for ideas, suggestions and help for filtering my indoor pond. The pond is not raised from the ground so it may not be drilled from the bottom.

Here is what I am working with.

The pond: My pond's inner dimensions measure 8'x4'x2'. It will contain about 400 gallons of water.

The stock: I will be keeping the pond lightly stocked. I plan on keeping two Ceja stingrays (Paratrygon Aiereba) alone in it. They will be starting out at about 10 inches in diameter and can grow to a much larger size of 47 inches across. Of course I do not plan on keeping them in this pond for life, but it will be a "growout" enclosure until I can house them in something much larger.

Restrictions: The only restriction I have regarding the construction of this sump is that the water flow can't be too strong, but strong enough to produce a gentle current all throughout the pond. Ceja stingrays are from deepwater so I must try to replicate the conditions as best as possible (slow flowing and cool).

What I am looking for: I am looking for a sump that features both media and aquaponics. It will be lightly stocked, but the two rays will grow large, so the filter should be able to handle a LARGE bio-load.

Here is the pond (still in need of more bracing and cosmetics)

I am a beginner and have NO technical skills with building sumps. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this,
    Tom

Re: A beginner in need of a sump

A grow bed of similar construction to your pond, but elevated about 3' above should work fine. The grow bed itself will provide all the filtration and bio activity you need once it is cycled. You can add a 100 gallon stock tank as a secondary sump so that flow and level in your ray tank is constant.

Bell siphons on the grow bed returns water to the sump (stock tank). A pump in sump would direct water to the pond and grow beds. Once the water level gets high enough in the grow bed, the siphon fires and dumps water back to the sump. Water level cycles in the sump as a result. Constant flow goes to the pond and an overflow line maintains constant level in the pond.

Start off your cond with conventional filtration until the growbeds get cycled. Rinsing your cycled filter into the grow bed will get it going fast.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Thanks for the great suggestions Jack.

I would like to do away with the sump and find a different way to keep the flow in there going at a constant.

Where can I find all of the materials I need to do this?
    I am starting from scratch so I will need all of the components to get this going (grow bed, pumps, media, ect)

I got my stock tanks from Tracktor Suppy in Highland. The rest I got from Home Depot, Lowes, and for bulkhead fittings I went to http://www.northcoastpets.com/bulkhead_fittings.htm

Not much of a way to do without some sort of surge volume if you are going to have a flood & drain growbed. If you use a growbed that keeps a constant water level it restricts severely the kind of plants you can grow. The sump does not need to be huge, just large enough to hold the water from a complete drain of the growbeds and a fill and keep the pump under water.

Sumps also provide a lot of other advantages from a maintenance standpoint.

Check http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...-About-Lettuce

Rays don't eat plants so if you keep your tank as a conventional system with a canister filter and vacuum normally, you could cover a large portion of the tank with the rafts. The rays may even apppreciate the cover.

Nice ray how do you intend to make your tank waterproof? I know that Aquatic Eco-Systems -Clik has the FDA approved food-grade epoxy paint that is non-toxic to fish if you intend to paint your "pond." badflash has listed some other links, and in our FAQ's are some other links to DIY-friendly suppliers.
    Very nice looking tank, by the way .... something like I intend to build soon. Thanks for the pics!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope
    Nice ray how do you intend to make your tank waterproof? I know that Aquatic Eco-Systems -Clik has the FDA approved food-grade epoxy paint that is non-toxic to fish if you intend to paint your "pond." badflash has listed some other links, and in our FAQ's are some other links to DIY-friendly suppliers.
    Very nice looking tank, by the way .... something like I intend to build soon. Thanks for the pics!
    Thanks Jackalope. If you build a pond like this then you might as well get into rays yourself

I plan on using Pond Armor from Pondarmor.com to line the inside of my pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Paratrygon
    Thanks Jackalope. If you build a pond like this then you might as well get into rays yourself

Not for me ....... I just want big pond/tanks for breeding and raising Tilapia ...... in the Spring and Summer, I will be doing Aquaponics, Winter, I'll just be doing good to keep the fish alive .... as a matter of fact, I'll have to keep my breeders in the house to be sure they survive if the lights go out for any length of time in the Saloon, which is where I am gearing up to create a "fish room" that I can keep heated during the winter (I hope). It's got no windows, and the door has light showing around the bottom and top, so I've got a lot of weatherstripping to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Paratrygon
    I plan on using Pond Armor from Pondarmor.com to line the inside of my pond.
    I'll check that out, and if they give their OK, I'll add them to our list in the FAQ's Thanks!

Some questions about your pond pic ...... is that strap iron you're using around the tank? it looks to be about 2" x 1/4" and I think you're using pine 1x8" boards ..... probably also using 3/4" plywood too ...... am I correct in these assumptions? Thanks
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy