Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: Utilizing existing 750 gal fish pond

Ok! Now it is july27,Not a lot of encouragement ,in April ,but enough to forge ahead ,messy set-up ,contains 1-DWR aka clear water sump 150 gal. combination ,going to BIC grow bed w/12" of 3/4" granite gravel w/ corner ladder supports .1 - dirty water sump connected to 5'x4' constant flow wicking tank bed w/ drop in trays and buckets . Both are totally close loop ,fed back flush from my Sand and Gravel filter from the pond ,to the sumps, both sumps are in constant circulation and aeration ,late start ,heat got lettuce & greens ,will reinstall for fall attempt .Both sumps refreshed weekly ,excess prior to recharge is fed to ground plants ,They are going nuts! Cucumbers taken over GB ,providing shade for tomatoes and peppers and cabbage ,starting build of two compartment wicking bed 12'x3'x6" I/3 clean water Dutch bucket style .w/ perilite ,2/3 dirty water w/ soil for root crops ,potatoes ,carrots, parsnips ,etc . Beets in existing shallow trays 6",just playing around seeing what works ,love the constant flow wicking tank -Bed . The closed loop's seems to be doing the job ,next spring I should be ready ,have plants started for fall attempt ,worms are happy fish are happy ,plants are happy & I am busy and very happy with the results so far .Now to see if I can add some pix!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not what you look at as much as what you see!

It is what it is ,Till YOU CHANGE IT!

Very interesting setup...looks like a childrens theme park but as long as it works and produces who cares. So, here it is basically fall is coming, how is your crops doing at this point. More photos please and how big are you fish now.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

I am happy with the results to this point ,Fish are happy and growing well ,added some blue gill ,a couple buffalo fish and a large golden shiner to the mix ,all wild caught seem to get along well .Gold fish from 5" to 2 1/2 " big ones are little pigs at meal time ,got a late start as you know ,but mostly experimented ,added a couple constant flow wicking tables. Cabbages ,starting to head ,beets ok sweet potatoes ,time will tell, first time I have ever grown any , gravel bed w/ bell siphon disappointing to this point .Cucumbers did well ,took over ,may have been the reason ,shaded tomatoes and peppers too much I think .Tomatoes in the ground and peppers were exceptional ,still flowering and producing like crazy .Fall lettuce on raft going great .Spring crop was too late and bolted ,green beans still flowering and producing have to pick again ,now ,last two years I was picking tomatoes till first hard frost .The separation of the two systems the pond from the gardens seems to work very well ,utilizing the back flush from the sand filter to the two sump tanks W/constant flow and aerated ,refreshed weekly . I water the ground plants from them too, it seems satisfy the ponds need and not waste the water ,from back flush and supply all the plants with the nutrients they need and protect each from the other ,The pond is of great interest to all who visit and is easy to maintain in the process, another 3 weeks and the leaf screens will have to go on ,which alters the looks some what ,but Otherwise ,you have a major mess ,and all of the problems with water quality issues .
    Feed back was non-existent ,but we muddled through,and learned a lot in the process ,How is yours doing ,and what do you have?

My crop has finally wound down for the year. Nothing left to do now but start cleaning up and getting ready for the spring
    JCO
    so never forget

Members

Sorry to hear, I would have thought with the differential in weather you would be going gang busters, but then ,hard to know with limited details and time constraints people have ,assumptions can be faulty. Responses ,so narrow in scope, and brief to be fair .

It take dedication to stay up with everything that is being posted and some just do not have the time.
    JCO
    so never forget

Members

Yea!!! Baby ,detailed posts take time and thought .some times seems like a waste of time and effort for sure!

Im blessed to be here.....continue growing all year....
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

Yes you are ,I think .I would love to be able to at least visit ,but the budget won't allow. I really do not think I could afford to live there. Just my guess from things I have heard from people who have and moved back state side ! Enjoy for me TOO!!