View Poll Results: Rhetorical Poll - Are there enough people growing fish and vegetables yet?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • lol

1 20.00%
  • NEVER!

4 80.00%
    Members

Hello from Florida, my first system ever to be designed...

I'm totally new to aquaponics, but I have spent some time watching videos and reading webpages on the internet, have stumbled upon some free equipment with the hopes of setting something up, and was wondering if you all would like to give me some input on it all, specs to maintain, and what-not.

I'd really like to make sure I select the proper GPH (I realize there's a height the pumps must clear), but in general, for the system as a whole, if I do end up setting it up as a whole. I'm also wondering what the proper amount of aeration would be, and how to accomplish it, as if there is such a thing as too much aeration, is there?

Ultimately, I'd like to hear all sorts of different ideas as to what is possible with it all, as I'm wide open to suggestions, if you all would...

2 X 10 gallon tanks
    1 X 20 gallon tank
    1 X 50 gallon tank
    1 X 30? gallon tote box
    I still need to get a growbed

Feel free to go ahead and answer now, but to hear more on my ideas and spec concerns, read on. Thank you so much!

My idea, which occurred before I found the 50 gallon tank, was a 5 level vertical set up on a shelf, with the pump and sump at the bottom...

1. On the top, the 20 gallon tank with like a dozen neon tetras, or something, waterfalling down to

2. the 10 gallon tank with like half a dozen neon tetras, or something, waterfalling down to the 2nd

3. 10 gallon tank, partitioned into two sections, with a couple little crabs or crayfish on one side and a bunch of filtration and aeration going on in the other side, which then, would dump into the

4. growbed, which would have an auto-siphon, or something, that then dumps down into the

5. sump, with the pump needing to get the water back up around 6 feet, or something.

Is this ridiculous, what would you do?

I then thought of another set up in which I'd use one of the 10 gallon tanks to grow mushrooms.

Re: Hello from Florida, my first system ever to be designed.

Welcome to the Forum
    My first attempt was using a pool pump that would pump 11' high w/o too much difficulty. Eventually that particular type of GB/system didn't work out for me. I like the idea of using pool pumps or basement sump pumps becuz they are designed (IMO) with the idea of having some detritus/sand/ dirt/grit in the water that you'll be pumping.

After some further experimentation I went with a GB that was about 2' above the FT, which gave me a 350GPH for about 150 Gal. FT&GB total (changes/filters the water about every two hours). Worked fine but I brought some problems on myself by constantly experimenting with different system/filtration designs (I like to learn by doing ..... reading sometimes leaves much to be desired - especially if it's written for GURUs instead of Rednecks like me!). I've used 5, 10 ,20, 35, and 50 gallon aquariums, as well as 18 and 50 gallon Wal-Mart totes in my different system experiments as well as several different kinds of filtration/sump designs.

Instead of tetras, I used common Guppies - they make great live food for the Tilapia in the FT and they breed fast to replenish your supply - (as long as you don't use the PG mammas for fish food ) Once you get yourself set up equipment-wise, figure out which type of system you're going to use and then post pix so we can see better what you have in mind

I'm probably a week away from heading back to Montana, so I may not see your answer till Fall, but there are plenty of folks here that can give you good advice and help as you progress
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy