Members

New Guy in Georgia

Just wanted to say hello. I'm totally new to this (about time right?). I'll be starting a system in a few weeks and it's going to be interesting. I have a decorative (until now) in ground pond that I'm going to use as my fish tank. Because this tank is below ground it's going to make it impossible to drain the fish tank into a sump. My solution is to pump from the FT to the Grow bed and to let that flow into a "sump" that flows into the FT. If I start with the "sump" full, and match up the drain of the sump into the FT with the output of the FT to GB pump it should work out, but I suspect there are many problems with this solution. Alternative plans would be welcome. I've gotten lots of great information here so far.

Re: New Guy in Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Conchis
    Just wanted to say hello. I'm totally new to this (about time right?). I'll be starting a system in a few weeks and it's going to be interesting. I have a decorative (until now) in ground pond that I'm going to use as my fish tank. Because this tank is below ground it's going to make it impossible to drain the fish tank into a sump. My solution is to pump from the FT to the Grow bed and to let that flow into a "sump" that flows into the FT. If I start with the "sump" full, and match up the drain of the sump into the FT with the output of the FT to GB pump it should work out, but I suspect there are many problems with this solution. Alternative plans would be welcome. I've gotten lots of great information here so far.
    Welcome to the forum!

One alternative: get an old fiberglass well aerator tank to use as a sump. They hold about 150 gallons and have a slightly conical shaped bottom and built in drain which will facilitate solids removal. It can double as a settling tank. Pump from the pond to the tank, gravity feed from an overflow outlet near the top to the growbeds which then gravity feed back to the pond.

Members

Thanks for the welcome and the response bsfman. I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find such an animal, but a double usage there would be great! I've been wondering how the whole solids thing was going to work out.

What you're planning with the pool being in-ground is not an impossible or unreasonable idea .... I read somewhere on the internet that the Chinese homeowners pump the water out of the in-ground pool to the hog pen, which then drains thru the duck/goose/chicken pen, then thru the garden and finally back to the fish pond. This way they take care of their livestock, feed their family, and any excess fish/veggies/livestock is sold at market to pay for the local party-boss' new car (j/k) Also, I'd like to encourage you to use the DIY search function, we have a lot more info here for you than you would imagine

Welcome to the DIYAP forum - come back often and share your successes, failures, and insights with us, we all learn from each other that way
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

Okay....sooooo....I finally got this thing up and running. Took FOREVER to get some hydroton in here. Anyway.....I've searched as best I know how here and I have seen lots of folks say that the drain/flood cycle ought to occur at least 1 time an hour. Mine right now is taking 15 minutes to fill/1 minute to drain.....15 minutes to fill..... I can't seem to get a good read on if there is a flood/drain cycle that is too fast? Does this cycle sound reasonable? The grow bed is 2 feet X 4 feet by 1 foot; only fills to 10" though ( don't know if that makes a difference or not).

Hi and welcome to the forum...

A I5 min cycle is a good time.

You don't want the water comming over the top of the media, because it would be covered with algea.
    About on inch below the top of the media is a good height.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome to the forum,

You didn't mention the size of your pool/fish tank.

I don't know why you think you need a sump. Just drain the grow bed back into the fish tank.

With the grow bed/bio-filter size you mentioned, you can raise 10 pounds of fish before it overwhelms your bio-filter. You will need a minimum of 6 gallons of bio-filter per pound of fish when fully grown out.

Flood and drain cycle time of every 15 minutes is about right. Your drain time seems fast for a constant input flow grow bed. I'm wondering how you accomplished that.

Oliver
    To measure is to know