Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miracle gro?

Members

Miracle gro?

I am currently waiting on my fish. I have the system setup. I even planted some plants. I know it was premature but I was getting impatient. Lol. I was wondering if anyone has heard of using miracle gro in the water for the plants? And if anyone has heard whether the miracle gro will hurt the fish or not? I haven't put much in and my nitrates are between 0 and 20 ppm where as my nitrites are 0. I'm not sure what the ammonia levels are because my strips don't tell me. I am planning on purchasing the liquid test kit later on. I did also use house hold ammonia (detergent free) in the water for a few days. Then switched to miracle gro because the side says it has nitrates and nitrites. The only things that changed on my test was the ph went from 8.4+ to around 7.5ish. And the nitrates went up a little. Oh by the way I have an ibc system with a 150 gallon tank and about 60-70 gallon growbed. I am just trying not to kill the plants (that I prematurely planted) and not kill my fish (they should arrive in a few days). I am new to this and any feed back would be very helpful. Thanks.
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!

Members

Re: Miracle gro?

there are quite a few "miracle grow" products, i'd avoid them in an ap system ... if your plants look like they're lacking trace elements, maxicrop with iron is a tried and tested additive safe for fish

Members

Yah I'm trying to keep the plants alive until my fish get here. The levels are low and need to be brought up for the plants to thrive. But I don't have my fish yet. The company claimed they would be here like 2.5 weeks ago so I planned for them to come then and they never came. I hope they come soon.
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!

Rather than Miracle Grow, just add pee to your tank water. It will start the cycling and the plants will uptake the ammonia.

Members

just be aware that if you "pee" directly into the tank, you won't see ammonia for at least a couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    just be aware that if you "pee" directly into the tank, you won't see ammonia for at least a couple of days
    True, but it's still nitrogenous waste which will be immediately available for plant uptake, and it will definitely start the ammonia cycle in his system.

Just go get some cheap "feeder" fish and put them in the tank until your mail order fish arrive...I did this while cycling my first experimental ap system. Seemed to work well then added my "real" fish after the system seemed stable.
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

+1 feeder fish. I use minnows. In outdoor systems they also control mosquito larva

brian

Members

Thanks guys. My fish should be coming in soon. But my water turned green and my nitrites are really high!! I need to get them down before my fish get here. How do I do that. I quit using the miracle gro. An went back to ammonia and now I am producing nitrites and nitrates but they are too high. What do I do?

Members

partial water change, and cover your tank to kill the algae