Intex Pump Over the top or Through the Side?

Another question guys. I have an intex external pool pump for the 8' pool can I run the intake line over the top of my cement tank wall and down into the tank or better through the side about midway down? Or? Also should I run pipe down towards the bottom or just midway into the tank? I was hoping to get some water flow by putting the inlet on one end and the return from the GB's at the other end. I need to know because the wife decided I need to face the tank with rock so I need to make the hole now if it would be better to have it through the side. Thanks in advance...

Re: Intex Pump Over the top or Through the Side?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiye
    Another question guys. I have an intex external pool pump for the 8' pool can I run the intake line over the top of my cement tank wall and down into the tank or better through the side about midway down? Or? Also should I run pipe down towards the bottom or just midway into the tank? I was hoping to get some water flow by putting the inlet on one end and the return from the GB's at the other end. I need to know because the wife decided I need to face the tank with rock so I need to make the hole now if it would be better to have it through the side. Thanks in advance...
    Water won't feed the pump if you go over the side without some sort of priming to fill the line first. Then later, if you ever get air bubbles in the feed line, your pump won't be moving water.

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkiye
    Water won't feed the pump if you go over the side without some sort of priming to fill the line first. Then later, if you ever get air bubbles in the feed line, your pump won't be moving water.
    Yeah I am thinking I will do a bulkhead through the side anyway however if I went over the top I realize the pump needs to be primed or stay primed which a check valve should take care of don't you think?

should the pump draw from the bottom of the tank or is the side ok?

We have an Intex pool like the one below, and the pump easily pumps water up to and through the solar collectors on the roof of our garage, but the pump does lose it prime pretty easily if it sucks any air when the kids are splashing around or if you aren't careful hooking/unhooking the vacuum unit.

It's all about the fish, dude.

I use the installed pool bulkhead fitting the pool comes with. I then pipe to bottom center of the pool. The return line goes in at an angle at the side to swirl the water moving the solids to the intake.

If you are using the round pool be carefull to not overfill and protect from heavy rains, Once they geet too full the lif drops and nearly 100 gallons surges over the side washing fish out along with it.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by David - WI
    We have an Intex pool like the one below, and the pump easily pumps water up to and through the solar collectors on the roof of our garage, but the pump does lose it prime pretty easily if it sucks any air when the kids are splashing around or if you aren't careful hooking/unhooking the vacuum unit.

It can easily pump uphill any water that gets to the pump, but in this pic, the pump inlet is below the pool surface and fed by the weight of the water column above the inlet. The pump will easily pump uphill any water that is fed to it from an uphill inlet, but it can't suck water uphill TO the pump from an inlet with piping higher than the tank water surface unless a siphon action is first established.