Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Members

Re: Siphon Down to Ground and Back Up to Tank?

Hi!
    Yah, that should not be a problem as the inlet is higher than the outlet! what kind of flow are we looking at? you have one huge pipe there
    br,
    Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes, the 4 inch horizontal pipe is pretty large.
    The reason is, if more then 1 bell siphon kicks in at one time, the header has to be able to have more then enough room to handle the flow. It's surprising how fast the water comes out of a bell siphon...especially when using an 'Affnan' style bell set up..
    I experimented using a smaller common header and it didn't let a second bell (or third) to start, if one was already flowing.

The 4 inch 'drain' pipe ( thin wall pipe) here in the US is pretty cheap anyways.
    I figure, it's cheaper to over size, to start with, then to tear it out and re-do it...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

A while back someone posted picks of a system where all be beds were interconnected by pipes at the bottom. Only 1 tank had a bell siphon that drained from a different penetration so there was only a single return line. That fixes most of the issues.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Awesome davidstcldfl you nailed it Thanks a million! Although I don't know that I will be going under ground I can run the pipe on top of the ground and under the toe kick of the step however I have considered going under ground to make it more astetically pleasing (but that is more work LOL) As for the frost line I am going to build a green house over the whole thing so not a problem.

So does reducing the pipe to 2 inch help with pressure at the outlet? Also I have one grow bed seperate from the other two as there is another walk way so it would have a seperate header and down into the two inch pipe. So wondering how to do that?

here is what I had in mind I am just wondering if you think this will work?

This might give you a better idea with what I am working with definitely not to scale LOL:

Yes, what you drew looks like it'll work....

I only drew it underground, to show it would work, even under those conditions too. Good point on the aesthetics, if you think it's worth the extra work.

I used the 2 inch, to save some on the cost. Simple as that....
    So far, the systems that I've done this on, are working fine...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Thanks appreciate it. Do the drain headers need an air vent in the ends?

Yes, the header needs vented...

On the 4 inch header, I make a hole for each media bed, with a hole saw. The small drains from each bed fits lose, in the hole. That's normally enough venting.

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Yes, the header needs vented...

On the 4 inch header, I make a hole for each media bed, with a hole saw. The small drains from each bed fits lose, in the hole. That's normally enough venting.
    Cool thanks! I was thinking I could get way with all 2 inch drain headers since I only have 2 grow beds on a common header and one on a single but connecting on the ground or is that pushing it? what do you think?

I had a similar system, and it needed high point vents. T the common line before it drops, put in a T and have the vent go up above the growbed.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Badflash made a great suggestion about venting.

Try it your way.