Thread: filter matting

Members

filter matting

I will be setting up my IBC system this May, and have a question about matting used for filtration and bacterial growth. I saw this matting on Practical Aquaponics video and went to Home Depot and Lowe's where they had NO idea what I was talking about. I showed them photos, and they still had no idea. Does anyone know what this material is called? Here is a photo on my Flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_marko/ ... hotostream

Re: filter matting

It's AC filters that you can cut to fit and you will find it in the AC filter section of Lowe's and Home Depot. I use it in my bio-filters.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Heres' a link to a place that carrys it. Along with lots of other neat stuff...
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/

When there, look for...Matala Filter Media
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

I used floor buffing pads instead of the the AC filters. I can get them from my work way cheep like $3 each, i think new they are like $9 and I know Lowes carry's them.. they work really well, great surface area and for that price you cant beat it.

As long as they don't come from the factory with some kind of chemical on them, you'll be good to go...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

careful with the AC filters.. the "green" (all natural) ones will break down over time

Members

Doesn't the grow bed act as the filter? What is the advantage of adding these, and where do you put them?
    ~Mak

"There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet and the population keeps growing "

Members

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    As long as they don't come from the factory with some kind of chemical on them, you'll be good to go...
    i wash them in an industrial washing machine with just hot water a few times before and let them sit in the sun a few days. i havent lost any fish after adding them to my filter. But brand new i know people who just throw them in the filter as is and have never had a problem. its the same material.

Quote Originally Posted by dsrtlzrd32
    Doesn't the grow bed act as the filter?
    Yes, your correct. One common reason....Folks that just do rafts, would use the filter media to try to keep the solids from building up in the raft beds.

Quote Originally Posted by bretthogan
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    i wash them in an industrial washing machine with just hot water a few times before and let them sit in the sun a few days. i havent lost any fish after adding them to my filter. But brand new i know people who just throw them in the filter as is and have never had a problem. its the same material.
    That's good to know...

Members

[quote="davidstcldfl"]Folks that just do rafts, would use the filter media to try to keep the solids from building up in the raft beds.

One negative to DWC imo, my roots were filled with crud and crap only after a few weeks.