Members

Florida Summer - Greenhouse vs. Screened-house

Hey guys, the last few days we have been receiving some heavy rain and high winds.e this has had me start thinking of preparation of the summer season here in Florida. Every afternoon like clockwork it rains at 3pm. It rains nice and heavy for about two hours. With this everyday rain, things tend to flood and stay wet, which leads me to already worry about my AP system. This rain over time will be a heavy burden on my plant both on the plants by the heavy rain and on their food supply by the dilution of the nutrients in the water being washed out. So, in order to combat this I am brain storming ideas and would like some insight on it. Insight specifically from Floridians or others that experience the hot, , sunny, humid, rainy weather of the S.E. US would greatly be appreciated.

So, would you build a greenhouse over your system or a frame with a clear plastic roof and screen sidings? The greenhouse approach seems the best idea to me, but I am worried with the heat and humidity that the plants will steam inside of it! The frame with the plastic pitched roof will allow light through, but keep the rain off. The screening on the sides will provide protection from the intense sun during the summer months and provide some cooler shade.

Interested to heat what people think and if there are any other approaches I am not seeing. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Re: Florida Summer - Greenhouse vs. Screened-house

Your system should be in balance by the onset of the rainy season. Your grow beds will trap rainwater in addition to the fish tank, so the fish tank will fill fairly quickly. But this is not a problem. Just drain the surplus. Use it for watering houseplants or soil garden to make use of the nutrients. Your fish will be cranking out a constant flow of nutrients by then and will keep plenty available for your plants in the AP system.

Rainwater is acidic, so your ph may fall. Keep an eye on that and buffer appropriately if it gets too low.

Members

Thanks for the insight. What about the sunlight. That is the main thing I am worried about, my plants withering away in the heat and direct lighting. Screen cover?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaChris
    Thanks for the insight. What about the sunlight. That is the main thing I am worried about, my plants withering away in the heat and direct lighting. Screen cover?
    I've never tried using a sunscreen, but alternatively you might consider companion planting the sunlight sensitive plants beneath the cover of high growing sun loving plants, or just plant stuff that can handle high intensity sunshine. I had good luck with popcorn and field peas last summer.