Hey guys,
Just wanted to say that I am making the jump into aquaponic gardening! Failed a few times at the traditional dirt gardening which was due to many variables; poor green thumb, Florida heat, etc. I am hoping to have better luck with AP as this seems to be a self sustaining, low maintenance approach to gardening. As with any new adventure I have some concerns with the unkown.

Florida heat - I am mostly concerned with our humid, hot Florida weather and how it affects plants. I have done some research and have found a solution, building a stand around my system and securing trellis siding to it. I found a video of the design I am following.

Florida rain - With the rain we constantly receive, over 8+ inches a month (which I feel is low), I am concerned on how this will affect my AP system. Will it be messing with the pH balance, watering down the nitrification process, or flooding my grow beds? If this will be a problem, what are the solutions?

Pest control - In my neighborhood we have a few large oak trees that are still around, the rest get cut down daily by angry senior citizens with nothing better to do but complain on leaves on their yards... These trees house huge families of squirrels, which I feel will be a nuisance to my fruits and veggies. How do I deter these critters from eating my food?? Someone mentioned garlic/chili power and I also heard lime salt (?), can anyone care to further explain these?

Thanks in advance for any help I receive and I look forward to my journey of AP gardening!

Regards,
Chris