Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE LOWLY SCUD

Members

Re: THE LOWLY SCUD

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    In that case, they're probably as happy as a pig in a slop trough.
    Yup! That's what it looked like before I cleaned it out.
    Scott
    Jesup (S.E.), Georgia, USA

Members

Can these scuds co-exist and survive with earthworms in the beds? Would there be enough food in the grow bed to support both?

Absolutely
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Hey,

I just signed up for this sight and am working on designing a system that I will build from scratch. I like the idea of eventually having Scud in the system, but was thinking of a way they could be added to the design.

The idea is to add something kind of like a smaller, secondary Bio-filter. I guess you could call it a scud filter. Instead of the water being pumped back into the fish tank, it would be pumped through the "Scud-Filter" first. The reason for this idea is I was thinking that after I get a system up and running I may want to add a water only bed. This "filter" would catch any plant matter, and would also give the scuds a place to live, hide, and procreate.

The filter would more then likely be filled with media, and work in a similar fashion to the bio filter. Being placed before the fish would also allow scud to be pushed out into the fish tank, maybe into Fry net if the need arises.

I am posting this because I am new to the forum, needed to post something, and kind of wondered if this was a good idea.

~Blout

It is easy to just put them in a sump prior to the fish tank. This can double as a floating bed tank. Enough mulm generally comes out of the beds to keep them happy along with the cover from the floating platform. Makes it a lot easier to harvest them to I would think.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

JCO
    Are these little things the same thing they call gammarus, or gammarus shrimp??? Also can you ship these things in say September or October. I would probably be ready for some then, if you still have them available?
    Thanks,
    Never show your ignorance, by thinking you know it all

Members

yes, gammarus are scuds.. i have bunches in my crayfish tanks.. they quickly dissappear when i grow minnows in the tanks, but after harvesting the minnows, the scuds manage to make a comeback, probably from hiding in the gravel
    if you have a filter with media, scuds and worms will live quite well together, even totally submerged..
    i set up a couple of bucket filters (filled with "scrubbie" pads with an airstone on the bottom) on my first system, when i moved things around and took the filters apart, they were loaded with scuds and red wiggler worms..

Well then I intend to order some when I get home and get a placed fixed for them. I am thinking I will set up a tank just to start them in while I am building my system, then when the system is ready I will have everything ready to put in it. I am planning on doing my fish the same way. Time is just one commodity I do not have a lot of, so I must plan ahead and have things ready when I need them ready.

It will have to be a cycle system complete with some fish etc for them to survive.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

JCO I got you, as soon as I get my place all ready I will be putting in an order for some. I will be disappointed if I cannot be ready in the next month or so.